urban buddhist monk

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: urban buddhist monk

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Notwithstanding the many comments i could make with regard to your post, as you are only 'the messenger' I will personally refrain from shooting you down.

However, you are quite incorrect about the Health service in the UK. There are some aspects of care you are definitely expected to pay for.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby ihrjordan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:00 pm

This whole discussion gave me an idea (as it might have a lot of other people) why doesn't someone make a sort of "guide" to living in the world as a strict lay buddhist striving for nibbana? we could post things like how to keep the precepts in daily life, recommended jobs, things having to do with money, tips on how to lead a more buddhist life, study schedules, meditation schedules suited for certain work hours and who knows what else. I'm sure if we took a lot of the posts we found on DW right now we could make one but it would be cool if someone made an all in 1 guide. :popcorn:
"Ko imaṃ pathaviṃ vicessati, yamalokañca imaṃ sadevakaṃ.
ko dhammapadaṃ sudesitaṃ, kusalo pupphamiva pacessati"
ihrjordan

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Start a thread! I'll join in!
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Feathers » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:11 pm

I'd find it a fascinating read, although all I'm currently striving for is the discipline to do daily metta and stick to vegetarianism :p
Feathers

Postby culaavuso » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:19 pm

ihrjordan wrote:This whole discussion gave me an idea (as it might have a lot of other people) why doesn't someone make a sort of "guide" to living in the world as a strict lay buddhist striving for nibbana?

A Simple Guide to Lay Life by Robert Bogoda
Lay Buddhist Practice by Ven. Bhikkhu Khantipalo
The Buddhist Layman: four essays by R. Bogoda, Susan Elbaum Jootla, and M.O'C. Walshe
culaavuso

Postby ihrjordan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:37 pm

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20970 New thread starts here
ihrjordan

Postby ihrjordan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:39 pm

culaavuso wrote:
ihrjordan wrote:This whole discussion gave me an idea (as it might have a lot of other people) why doesn't someone make a sort of "guide" to living in the world as a strict lay buddhist striving for nibbana?

A Simple Guide to Lay Life by Robert Bogoda
Lay Buddhist Practice by Ven. Bhikkhu Khantipalo
The Buddhist Layman: four essays by R. Bogoda, Susan Elbaum Jootla, and M.O'C. Walshe

and thank you but I think it would be interesting to see a community guide to laylife with everyones personal experience thrown in the mix : ) if you want to check it out here ya go viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20970
ihrjordan

Postby kilanta » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51 pm

No_Mind wrote:So no it is not possible to be an urban monk except in short spells of a month. Maybe a rare person here and there can. But over long time such a reclusive life while living amidst few million people will cause mental problems unless the person had schizoid, loner tendencies to begin with and was in some way mentally abnormal.

Trying to do this might very well turn one into a schizoid, loner and mentally abnormal, instead of attaining any kind of an enlightenment. I think it is important for ones well-being and mental/spiritual growth to be in some kind of harmony with ones surroundings. Usually being in harmony with ones surroundings means being on at least somewhat same level with people around.

Living like a monk in urban setting in a country which has no such tradition would most likely mean not being in any kind of harmony with world and people around. I doubt that would bring forward true wisdom.
kilanta

Postby walkart » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Of corse it's possible, you have just to do it.
It's not easy at the begining (no tv, web..) but it's ok after some time. I spent some time like that with one meal, early wake up, no tv, no web, no phone etc (but continuing to work) and it's was one of the bestest time of my life. Now i'am trying to return at such routine.

The danger in urban-monk-lay-routine is other peoples who will bring tentations, distabilisation, etc. (actualy i broke this mode because of external peoples, so it is realy important to be secluded from everybody, or make some distance with them to avoid all unsuitable contacts). So if you are realy alone, realy secluded, it's possible to keep it rooling on until Nibbana :)

My urban-monk-lay-routine was:
3.00 pm - wake up + shower + meditation
4.00 pm - puja + meal
5.00 pm - sutta reading
6.00 pm - work
2.00 am - meditation
3.00 am - sutta reading + dhamma talk
4.00 am - meditation
5.00 am - sutta reading
6.00 am - meditation
7.00 am - dhamma talk
8.00 am - meditation
9.00 am - sleeping
3.00 am wake up + shower + meditation
etc.
Of corse it's no so regid and you can sweetch hours, make somethink less, somethik more etc.
walkart

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion