Playing video games.

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
K.Dhamma

Playing video games.

Post by K.Dhamma »

Buddhist and personal stance on this subject? I am completely aware that it can be an enormous waste of time and can lead to heedlessness. But any tips on how anyone has maybe made video game playing a "more" wholesome act? Anyways, just an interesting thought.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Playing video games.

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

If you can think of the disadvantages, but need help in finding any beneficial redeeming features, then I doubt it can actually be for the good.

Just my opinion....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

If one practices Dhamma to know the truth one certainly even can experience all three characteristics when playing video games: addiction, gain and loss, laggy internet connection, your profile got hacked and you lost your valuable sword. There is nothing that's not Dhamma. But it's just a whole mass of unnecessary suffering, a pointless extra of delusion to Samsara. Life itself offers you enough to contemplate and learn from. I can't think of any aspect of video gaming (or gaming at all) that is adding something beneficial to your practice that you wouldn't find without gaming. It's distraction and a waste of time if you contemplate how very fragile and uncertain this very lifetime is. How much time do you still got? You could die tomorrow. :anjali:

If you live a lay life and need to distract yourself sometimes a bit (i.e. your practice haven't brought you that far that you can abstain from it) you could try to limit yourself to a certain amount of gaming a week or a day. If you practice renunciation towards gaming habits and limit yourself a bit (or a lot :D ) that is truly beneficial. Step by step. Gradual training. :toast:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

The Buddhist video game
Kasina

Post by Kasina »

K.Dhamma wrote:Buddhist and personal stance on this subject? I am completely aware that it can be an enormous waste of time and can lead to heedlessness. But any tips on how anyone has maybe made video game playing a "more" wholesome act? Anyways, just an interesting thought.
I can't personally see what's unwholesome about it, however it's not going to help your practice in any foreseeable way.

I play a lot of games, and I can say this from experience; the more you get into your meditation, the less attractive games are (same stands for movies, whatever).

Although, they certainly present a better form of entertainment than intoxicants and the like, but they do have an addictive nature. If it doesn't get in the way of your practice/personal life, I say play on. If it does, perhaps you should take a look at how you're spending your time (again, that stands for any form of entertainment).

My 2 cents. :coffee:

edited for spelling
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
LXNDR

Post by LXNDR »

it doesn't conduce equanimity and dispassion that's for certain

but how to make it wholesome or at least beneficial ? probably by renouncing the result of the game, staying mindful to your mental states and emotional reactions while you play and trying to bring them closer to the buddhist ideal, basically taming them

if the theme of the game itself is unwholesome, for example containing acts of violence, then change the type of game as well
walkart

Post by walkart »

culaavuso wrote:The Buddhist video game
:D :clap:
http://vimeo.com/56308342