Looking for a Sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Unrul3r

Looking for a Sutta

Post by Unrul3r »

Hello Dhamma Wheelers,

I'm wondering if there is a sort of "Looking for a Sutta" thread, where one could ask for specific sutta references. I think human beings in some cases search their memory better than a search box. Even though a search box is great, I find that people find suttas faster and do a better symbolic\semantic search in their minds. Literal words and phrases are easily found on google but when our query is something like: "I know there is a sutta similar to this one but I can't find it" I've only found help in the footers of ATI, case specific search queries in Pali or querying people. Also there are many AN suttas that aren't searchable online, and with these, it's not even possible with search box.

Anyways, this was just an idea that cropped up due to a specific query I have. Does anyone remember a sutta similar to AN 4.95 but it is the Buddha talking to a King (Bimbisāra I think) and is related to sharing or working instead of practicing?

:namaste:
santa100

Re: Looking for a Sutta

Post by santa100 »

AN 5.58 didn't specifically address a king but talked about lay folks in general and how they benefit from sharing their wealth to people around them..
Mahānāma, in whatever clansman five qualities are found—whether he is a consecrated khattiya king, a country gentleman, the general of an army, a village headman, a guildmaster, or one of those who exercise private rulership over various clans—only growth is to be expected, not decline. What five?..
Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

santa100 wrote:AN 5.58 didn't specifically address a king but talked about lay folks in general and how they benefit from sharing their wealth to people around them..
Mahānāma, in whatever clansman five qualities are found—whether he is a consecrated khattiya king, a country gentleman, the general of an army, a village headman, a guildmaster, or one of those who exercise private rulership over various clans—only growth is to be expected, not decline. What five?..
Thank you for the effort, santa100. :)

Unfortunately it's not that one. The sutta I'm looking for is very similar to AN 4.95 in structure & content but has another twist to it.

:namaste:
Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

Hello all,

If someone can help me, I'm looking for another sutta. Does anyone remember which is the sutta where the Buddha mentions that, Awakening is independent of the group as long as it has the 8 fold noble path? It may not be these exact words but something along this line.

:anjali:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

DN 16 Maha-parinibbana Sutta
The Lion's Roar

61. And the Blessed One spoke, saying: "In whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, there is not found the Noble Eightfold Path, neither is there found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, or fourth degree of saintliness. But in whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline there is found the Noble Eightfold Path, there is found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness.[54] Now in this Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, is found the Noble Eightfold Path; and in it alone are also found true ascetics of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness. Devoid of true ascetics are the systems of other teachers. But if, Subhadda, the bhikkhus live righteously, the world will not be destitute of arahats.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html
http://suttacentral.net/en/dn16
Mike
Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

mikenz66 wrote:DN 16 Maha-parinibbana Sutta
The Lion's Roar

61. And the Blessed One spoke, saying: "In whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, there is not found the Noble Eightfold Path, neither is there found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, or fourth degree of saintliness. But in whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline there is found the Noble Eightfold Path, there is found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness.[54] Now in this Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, is found the Noble Eightfold Path; and in it alone are also found true ascetics of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness. Devoid of true ascetics are the systems of other teachers. But if, Subhadda, the bhikkhus live righteously, the world will not be destitute of arahats.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html
Mike
Thank you, Mike. :anjali:

Mahāparinibbāna sutta is so big, that one forgets many of the small details. :)

If anyone knows more suttas that represent this idea, feel free to post them please.

Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

Hello fellow Dhamma Wheelers,

I'm looking for another sutta that I've been trying to retrace in memory but to no avail, may some of you can recognize faster. It's one where there is a simile about a man that has passion for a woman, sees her laughing with another man & suffers, afterwards he abandons passion & doesn't suffer from the same event.

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Unrul3r wrote:Hello fellow Dhamma Wheelers,

I'm looking for another sutta that I've been trying to retrace in memory but to no avail, may some of you can recognize faster. It's one where there is a simile about a man that has passion for a woman, sees her laughing with another man & suffers, afterwards he abandons passion & doesn't suffer from the same event.

Devadaha Sutta, MN 101

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

Sam Vara wrote:
Unrul3r wrote:Hello fellow Dhamma Wheelers,

Devadaha Sutta, MN 101

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Precisely. Thank you, Sam Vara. :anjali: