what is Ajahn brahm talking about?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
identification

what is Ajahn brahm talking about?

Post by identification »

The first meditation technique he describes in his book is present moment awareness. He says to be in the present and that it is a foundation for the rest of the techniques. But he doesn't describe how to be in the present moment, no object, nothing. How do I practice this?
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: what is Ajahn brahm talking about?

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Simple.

Quit thinking about what you have done, through the sources you have, of memory.

Quit thinking about what you will do, through the sources of planning you have, in your analytical brain.

Quit thinking about what you are doing, through the sources of sensory appreciation you have, through the appropriate skhandas.

Perform every action, mindfully attentive of what you are doing, with no labelling, no desire, no running commentary.

Just 'see', and 'do'.

That's about it, really.....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Identification,

You might find Ajahn Brahm's guided meditations useful. It's a lot easier to understand what he's getting at by listening. I gave some links here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 37#p296291

:anjali:
Mike
identification

Post by identification »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Simple.

Quit thinking about what you have done, through the sources you have, of memory.

Quit thinking about what you will do, through the sources of planning you have, in your analytical brain.

Quit thinking about what you are doing, through the sources of sensory appreciation you have, through the appropriate skhandas.

Perform every action, mindfully attentive of what you are doing, with no labelling, no desire, no running commentary.

Just 'see', and 'do'.

That's about it, really.....
Thanks, but I can't just intentionally stop doing all of that. It's not a light switch for me that I can turn on and off. And he doesn't describe being mindful of actions or being mindful of anything. He says to build on this specific technique before moving onto mindfulness of breathing. And if this present moment awareness technique he's talking about just means to be mindful of anything in the present, that wouldn't make sense, because you can be in the present with the breathing, yet like I said, he recommends not doing that. The purpose of the technique from what I'm reading is to be able to get use to being in the present so then when you start mindfulness practice like being mindful of actions it will be easier. But I still don't understand how to do it.
identification

Post by identification »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Identification,

You might find Ajahn Brahm's guided meditations useful. It's a lot easier to understand what he's getting at by listening. I gave some links here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 37#p296291

Mike
Thanks. I'll go through them.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

identification wrote:Thanks, but I can't just intentionally stop doing all of that. It's not a light switch for me that I can turn on and off.

To be honest, its an equally difficult practice for everyone..
And he doesn't describe being mindful of actions or being mindful of anything. He says to build on this specific technique before moving onto mindfulness of breathing. And if this present moment awareness technique he's talking about just means to be mindful of anything in the present, that wouldn't make sense, because you can be in the present with the breathing, yet like I said, he recommends not doing that. The purpose of the technique from what I'm reading is to be able to get use to being in the present so then when you start mindfulness practice like being mindful of actions it will be easier. But I still don't understand how to do it.
Ah. I see.
I'm sorry, you didn't mention that part before, I was unaware of the remainder of the text....
In that case, I see your confusion, and refraining from further comment, will merely follow the thread and learn from other posts! :smile:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
manas

Post by manas »

identification wrote:The first meditation technique he describes in his book is present moment awareness. He says to be in the present and that it is a foundation for the rest of the techniques. But he doesn't describe how to be in the present moment, no object, nothing. How do I practice this?
Hi identification,

while I don't agree with the Venerable's take on jhana, I did find many of his advices very useful in the book I suspect you are referring to ('Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond'?), and as I recall (I suspect) he meant to simply remain aware of where you are, sitting there in meditation, and to not get lost in thoughts; to be aware when a thought arises and not to follow or get lost in it; to notice when a bird sings, or any other distraction occurs, noting it but not getting lost in that, either. Just knowing where you are, and what you are doing - without getting lost in thought - can actually be an interesting challenge in itself.

Having said that, that isn't how the Buddha instructs us in basic anapanasati in the anapanasati sutta, or in the satipatthana sutta.

manas
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.