assada adinava and nissarana

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

assada adinava and nissarana

Post by Lombardi4 »

assada (enjoyment), adinava (danger) and nissarana (escape) - what is the collective name for these concepts?

In case you don't understand what I'm asking: just as anicca, dukkha and anatta are called the "three marks of existence", how are assada adinava and nissarana called?
:thanks:
kc2dpt

Re: assada adinava and nissarana

Post by kc2dpt »

I don't know. :shrug:
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

enjoyment - attraction - liking
danger - aversion - disliking
escape - neither attraction or aversion - neutrality

therefore vedana?
Stretching it a bit, perhaps :tongue:

:anjali:
Fede

Post by Fede »

Does there have to be a collective name, or are you merely asking someone to propose a possible name?
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Fede wrote:Does there have to be a collective name, or are you merely asking someone to propose a possible name?
I want to put these three (assada adinava and nissarana) in the Outline but don't know how the title/heading should be called. I am asking what the name is, not create a new one.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Stefan,

I've not heard of a collective term for these.

Perhaps you could align them with one of the vipassana nanas? Not sure, just an idea that came to mind.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

My first check was with Maha Thera Nyanatiloka's Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, Buddhist Publication Society, and then google.

No luck with either one.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Gosh, it's kinda interesting that this doesn't appear to have a name. :o
- Peter

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Stefan wrote:assada (enjoyment), adinava (danger) and nissarana (escape) - what is the collective name for these concepts?

In case you don't understand what I'm asking: just as anicca, dukkha and anatta are called the "three marks of existence", how are assada adinava and nissarana called?

Where did you find these terms?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote: Where did you find these terms?
I think he is referring to passages like this:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nypo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He does not know, according to facts, the arising and ending of these feelings, nor the gratification, the danger and the escape, connected with these feelings.
Mike
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

tiltbillings wrote:
Stefan wrote:assada (enjoyment), adinava (danger) and nissarana (escape) - what is the collective name for these concepts?

Where did you find these terms?
http://www.londonbuddhistvihara.org/lec ... /WEEK2.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
&
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/page4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

I took the term "standpoints" from here. Does the "Three Standpoints" sound OK?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Stefan wrote:I took the term "standpoints" from here. Does the "Three Standpoints" sound OK?
Depends upon what you are trying to do. The "Three Standpoints" is not a traditional category. If you are cataloguing traditional categories, this is not one, but there is nothing to say that you cannot add to the traditional categories, drawing from the suttas, if you are not limiting yourself solely to what the tradition has listed.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

I think Stefan's point is that "gratification, danger, and escape" is a traditional formula, but one apparently without a name. Does the Buddha ever use the term "three characteristics" or "three marks" or was that a name someone at a later time gave to the traditional formula of "anicca, dukkha, anatta"?
- Peter

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Peter wrote:I think Stefan's point is that "gratification, danger, and escape" is a traditional formula, but one apparently without a name. Does the Buddha ever use the term "three characteristics" or "three marks" or was that a name someone at a later time gave to the traditional formula of "anicca, dukkha, anatta"?
Picky, picky, picky, picky. It is not a traditional listing that has been teased out of the texts and named by the tradition. Just for Stefan's own edification, it might worth doing a search of the canon to see how often those words are used together. There is nothing wrong with him adding these three words together as part of his catalogue and giving them a name. It all depends upon what he trying to do.