Attitudes of Western Buddhists: 5 Questions to Answer

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
gavesako

Attitudes of Western Buddhists: 5 Questions to Answer

Post by gavesako »

A Thai friend who is doing an MA in the Study of Religions would like know more about the views and attitudes of Western Buddhists. If you would like to help her, please answer the questions below (it could also be an interesting survey for Dhammawheel users in general).

----------------------
I am interested in Buddhism in the West.
I would like to know how Westerners practice Buddhism and their perspectives.
Thus, if you don't mind , could you please answers questions as follows;

1. Are you a Buddhist?

2. Are you interested in Buddhism because of the meditation?

If you are a Buddhist ;
3. Do you see ‘ meditation’ as most relevant to the Dhamma practice rather than other social meritorious activities? why?

4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)?
and how this activity is important to you?

5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
retrofuturist

Re: Attitudes of Western Buddhists: 5 Questions to Answer

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings to you and your Thai friend, bhante!

1. Are you a Buddhist?

Yes

I see meditation as a means to an end.... so it would be more accurate to say I'm interested in meditation because of Buddhism!

If you are a Buddhist ;
3. Do you see ‘ meditation’ as most relevant to the Dhamma practice rather than other social meritorious activities? why?

Meritorious activities are a good support and basis for practice, but meditation and Dhamma study (preferably a combination of both) are required in order to attain stream-entry. "Social meritorious activities" existed before the Buddha, but these did not, in themselves, lead to enlightenment. Heavenly realms, yes... just not enlightenment.

4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)?

Yes, and it is important though unfortunately as Western Buddhists, our opportunities to make regular offerings to the Sangha may be limited by our lack of proximity.

5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age

Paul, Australian, Male, Lay, Bachelor of Arts & Bachelor of Economics, Married, 31.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hello Bhante Gavesako,

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yes

I was because of an initial interest in meditation that led me to appreciate everything else that Buddhism (primarily Theravada) has to offer.

If you are a Buddhist ;
I see from my own practice that keeping the precepts and being kind is supportive to having a calm and peaceful mind which is supportive of meditation which leads to a deeper understanding of the nature of the mind. The more clearly I see how my mind works and what is conducive to happiness and what leads to stress the more I see the value of keeping the precepts and on and on it goes. Therefore meditation is just as important as all the other factors of my practice.

Yes, I do believe that generosity is very beneficial and try to practice it every day. I try to be generous not only to monks and nuns, but also to other people and to other beings where and when I can.

Guy, Australian, male, lay, no certifications, single, 22

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

1. Are you a Buddhist?

Yes

Not at first

If you are a Buddhist ;

no

Yes I am confident that all Generosity is meritorious.

Gabriel Branbury, USA, Lay, Associates Degree, Married
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Bhante,
1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yes

2. Are you interested in Buddhism because of the meditation?half and half

If you are a Buddhist ;

I see meditation as the most meritorious as it is the foundation to which other activities are come from!
by this I mean if my practice is the support to doing good and not developing the inclination to do otherwise, it enables me to stay calm and react more appropriatly in high stress situations where there would be a posibility I may loose my temper, get upset, or other negative process arising

yes, and not really
the not really is more to do with location than anything! when an oportunity arises I am there, but that oportunity is not as often as my contact with members of the sangha is mainly online.

5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age[/quote]David (AKA Manapa), Manx, Male, Lay, Studying for a Diploma in CBT and Body therapy & Chiropody Dilomas, living with my partner, 29
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
I don't know what a "Buddhist" is exactly. so I would rather say I'm a disciple of the teachings taught by the Buddha.
No, it is just a method to make the mind "fit for work" so that wisdom can arise. I'm interested in Buddhism because I try to end suffering.
If you are a Buddhist ;
yes. because social meritorious activities don't lead to the end of suffering.
4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)? and how this activity is important to you?
no, less important
Florian, german, male, lay,(guess 'cause I'm german) O-Levels???, single, 24
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
siaophengyou

Post by siaophengyou »

gavesako wrote:A Thai friend who is doing an MA in the Study of Religions would like know more about the views and attitudes of Western Buddhists. If you would like to help her, please answer the questions below (it could also be an interesting survey for Dhammawheel users in general).

----------------------

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Not before i finished 5 months intensive meditation Retreat with Sayadaw U Panditabhivamsa in Myanmar
Meditation brings me to more understand and more respect towards Lord Buddha and His Teachings
If you are a Buddhist ;
Yes, as proclaimed by the Blessed One, it is the Only way, the surest way to be liberated from suffering
Dana Parami alone wouldn't be enough to liberate one from suffering. It is important, to fulfill one of the Ten Parami
Hyronike Suyono, Indonesian, Male, Lay, Bsc. Comp. Eng., Single, 29
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yes

Yes, but not just for the sake of meditation.
Meditation is included in the teachings and practice of Buddhism:
sila, dana, bhavana (morality, generosity, meditation)
panna, sila, samadhi (wisdom, morality, concentration)

If you are a Buddhist ;

All are important, see my answer above, but yes, meditation is the most, because with the practice and experience of meditation, one can see for oneself the value of sila, dana, and other meritorious actions.

Yes, but I try to perform dana without the expectation of some reward. I do the dana because the monks have earned it and need it, and because I benefit from their teachings and from their pastoral duties to the community.

5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age[/quote]
David, U.S., male, lay 5 to 8 precept, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., married, 47.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

These questions seem to be based on the stereotype of Eastern Buddhist practice being mostly donation and Western Buddhist practice being mostly meditation.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Peter wrote:These questions seem to be based on the stereotype of Eastern Buddhist practice being mostly donation and Western Buddhist practice being mostly meditation.
Moderators note: Maybe, but let us keep this thread on target. If you wish to question the questions, start a new thread.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
I have not taken formal refuge, so I guess "no", but I nevertheless trying to follow the Buddhist teachings as I understand it.

Meditation is part of Buddha's teaching, so I meditation is a means to an end, i.e. prepare my mind for insight, wisdom and understanding that can lead me along the path.

If you are a Buddhist ;

Both are elements of Buddhism to me, both are means of practice; each of them addresses different areas though: meditation addresses the mind (insight, wisdom, understanding, discernment), meritorious activities addresses the heart (generosity, loving-kindness).

Dana to me is to practice generosity, i.e. for me, it is about the "doing" instead of the "outcome" that matters. Supporting monks to teach the dhamma and provide good examples for skillful living is based on "selfinterest", so to speak; I am no expecting it to translate merits across Samsara. If it does, it's a nice bonus rather than the reason behind the act.

Vardali, German, female, lay, PhD, single, 43
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
I consider myself a Buddhist. I observe the 5 precepts everyday and the Uposatha precepts on the poya days. I chant the refuges every morning before meditation.

Meditation is certainly an important part of the Eightfold Path but I'm not now nor was I initially attracted to Buddhism because I had a fascination with meditation in general.

If you are a Buddhist ;
No. I see meditation , silla and the cultivation of the paramis as the most important aspects of the path for a householder such as myself.

Yes, I think it is immesely beneficial to support the Sangha and I do it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Michael R./USA/Male/Lay/MA/Married/31
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

gavesako wrote:A Thai friend who is doing an MA in the Study of Religions would like know more about the views and attitudes of Western Buddhists. If you would like to help her, please answer the questions below (it could also be an interesting survey for Dhammawheel users in general).

----------------------

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yep
Yep
If you are a Buddhist ;
I think it's of equal importance. The perfection of morality is one third of the path. If one does not have a good foundation in morality then one will find it hard to sit down and meditate to any great success. It's just like the metaphor of building a house, meditation needs a good solid foundation, and that foundation is to be found in morality.
Yes I believe it does generate merits across Samsara. But one has to look at the motivation behind it. If one gives because they feel they will enjoy the fruits of giving after death, then there's still an element of greed here. The activity is important to me in so far as I am trimming back my own greed, and bettering other's positions for it. I have no interest in being rich or attractive looking in future rebirths. In fact I'd rather I weren't reborn at all, so what use is merit to a man.

This idea of merit, is such a huge concept in Thailand - But to an extent it stops many Thai people seeing the Dhamma any deeper than the surface - There's a lot more on offer there. It's a tragedy that people feel they cannot realise the goal or make progress simply because of their relative status in the world. I am reminded of the story of Angulimala.
Jack S, New Zealander, Male, Lay-follower, University Entrance, Single, 18.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

1. Are you a Buddhist?

I no longer find it useful to identify by "ist"s or "ism"s. I find much of Siddhartha Gautama's teachings (and many of his commentator's teachings) to be gem-like in their clarity, and they've had a profound influence on my view of "reality".

Not solely. I'm interested in the entire range of practices that are found within the container of so-called "Buddhism".

If you are a Buddhist

I'll answer this anyway...

I think the practice of meditation is primary and equal to the primary practice of generating compassion. Awareness and Compassion.

I have no knowledge or experience of "next lives". I practice generosity whenever I recognize the opportunity, regardless of any being's social position, in this life now.

5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age[/quote]

Jeff
U.S.
Male (physical), Androgynous (mind/emotion)
Lay practitioner (emphasis on _practice_)
B.A. - Integrated Health Management Services
M.A. - Clinical Psychology
M.A. - Counseling Psychology
Single (in the eyes of the law)
Gay (surely as relevant/irrelevant as "male", "age", "location", "marital status", etc...)
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

Hi Bhante,

1. Are you a Buddhist?

Close enough. :tongue: I plan to take refuge when the time is right.

That's part of it. Buddhist ethics and the overall "philosophy" are another part.

If you are a Buddhist ;

I think involvement in social issues is important, especially as global culture becomes more secular and present-oriented. In my opinion, "engaged" or "humanistic" Buddhism is on the right track -- not necessarily for everyone, but it's a good trend.

It depends. If you're Pol Pot and think you can escape hell by financing a new stupa, you're wrong. But generally speaking, supporting the monastic sangha is meritorious.

Robert, USA, male, layperson, Ph.D, married, 43.

:namaste:
Last edited by Lazy_eye on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.