Nicolas

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Nicolas

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Greetings!

I have always been a mind-oriented person, and have always had an interest in meditation, practicing my own made-up kind as a child before going to sleep.
I started experimenting with psychedelics in early 2011, which opened me up to spirituality in a big way in mid-2012 (i had always been a materialist atheist until then), specifically led me to investigate meditation more deeply in early 2013, and specifically led me to Buddhism in the fall of 2013. (I am aware of all fifth-precept talk; in my case i doubt i would have seriously turned to Buddhism without them, and as such i think they may be useful catalysts or sparks for those that are not naturally prone to it and are lucky enough to have the right experiences and mindset, even though they may also generate and perpetuate delusion.)
Since then, i have been increasingly interested in Buddhism, and several months ago started reading the Sutta Pitaka; during that time, this most coherent, sublime, and deep, deep Dhamma has won me over! and i started practicing.

My sitting meditation practice is regular but not daily yet. I have made a little progress in it lately, which is very encouraging.
Most of my online time is spent reading about the Dhamma, but i am aware that i need to shift away from reading and thinking, and focus more on practice. Mindfulness intermittently fills my days and i am very grateful for it.

I have not been on any retreat yet (beyond a one-day one, but i wouldn't consider that a retreat), but i plan on going to a 10-day Goenka one in early 2015.
I'm entertaining the idea of becoming a monk at some point in my life (the earlier the better), but i am aware that it may take a long time and that i may be over-zealous, wanting to rush things, or deluding myself into believing that i have the courage and determination to do it.

I come here for Dhamma discussion, help in my practice, admirable friendship (hopefully), and whatever else may arise.
I will address my biggest struggles in other threads.
I live in the Boston area in the USA and am turning 30 this fall.
I hope i have not been too self-centered in this message (especially considering all the "i"s), i thought that the exhaustive background information could help situate me better for more adequate replies.

That's it for now :-)
Thank you all, and metta to all.
mikenz66

Re: Nicolas

Post by mikenz66 »

Welome Nicolas!

Thank you for the detailed introduction. It's nice to know something about the people that we are conversing with.

:anjali:
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:toast:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to DhammaWheel! :group:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Nicolas wrote:I hope i have not been too self-centered in this message (especially considering all the "i"s), i thought that the exhaustive background information could help situate me better for more adequate replies.
Not at all self-centered. I agree with Mike. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!

:hello:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SDC

Post by SDC »

Nicolas wrote:My sitting meditation practice is regular but not daily yet. I have made a little progress in it lately, which is very encouraging.
Most of my online time is spent reading about the Dhamma, but i am aware that i need to shift away from reading and thinking, and focus more on practice. Mindfulness intermittently fills my days and i am very grateful for it.
Welcome, Nicolas.

Remember it is all about balance and what works for you. You may go for some time without formally sitting, but at the same time be making great strides just contemplating what you have learned and applying it in your experience. Don't forget you can do this while sitting, walking, lying down, etc. And with reading - revisiting certain literature at different points along the way will reveal deeper insights. Remember do what works for you, and good luck!
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome to DW!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
richiec123

Post by richiec123 »

It was dmt that unlocked the door for me I still had to step through it and I did.