Bodhesako, Nanavira & Ñanananda - Which Books to Start With?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mr. G

Bodhesako, Nanavira & Ñanananda - Which Books to Start With?

Post by Mr. G »

Hey all,

I'm interested in reading the books of Bodhesako, Nanavira & Ñanananda. Is there a particular order in which the author's books should be read that would assist the reader in better understanding the material?

Thanks! :smile:
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
retrofuturist

Re: Bodhesako, Nanavira & Ñanananda - Which Books to Start With?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mr. Gordo,

In order...

Ñanananda
- Concept And Reality
- Magic Of The Mind
- Nibbana Sermons

Ñanavira
- Notes
- Letters

I don't recall reading anything by Bodhesako, so I can't comment on his works, though "Beginnings" sounds like a nice place to begin. :tongue:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mr. gordo wrote:Hey all,

I'm interested in reading the books of Bodhesako, Nanavira & Ñanananda. Is there a particular order in which the author's books should be read that would assist the reader in better understanding the material?

Which Books to Start With?

Ven Nanananda. He is a far, far better grounded scholar and practitioner and far easier to read. CONCEPT AND REALITY followed by MAGIC OF THE MIND followed by his SAMYUTtA NIKAYA anthology, which has copious notes by him and then there is the NIBBANA SERMONS. This all should keep you busy for a while, and the time studying his works is well worth it. Some of this is online.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Thanks retro and tilt! :smile:
In the fires of hell,
- Gandavyuha Sutra
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote: Ven Nanananda. He is a far, far better grounded scholar and practitioner and far easier to read. CONCEPT AND REALITY followed by MAGIC OF THE MIND followed by his SAMYUTtA NIKAYA anthology, which has copious notes by him and then there is the NIBBANA SERMONS. This all should keep you busy for a while, and the time studying his works is well worth it. Some of this is online.
I think it's all on line apart from, unfortunately, concept and reality (which you can order from BPS). I've been posting some of the SN anthology on the Study group lately, and it is also downloadable as a PDF, as is Magic of the Mind and Nibbana Sermons. I've been working through listening to his recordings of the latter which you can find here:
http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/eng/ ... cat=nn&p=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since they are lectures, I prefer to listen to them than read them...

Another essay I liked was his discussion of meditation: Seeing Through: http://nibbanam.com/?p=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a thread with some more useful information: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Great resources mikenz! Thanks! :smile:
In the fires of hell,
- Gandavyuha Sutra
pulga

Post by pulga »

I would start with Bodesako's essay "Change", particularly the first half. (It bogs down a little in the second half with his elaboration of the recursive nature of samsara.)

I don't want to put too much emphasis on it, but an understanding of Heidegger's concept of being-in-the-world is also helpful in understanding what Ñanavira is getting at. I have always found the last several paragraphs of Letter 121 rather striking:

http://nanavira.xtreemhost.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

pulga wrote:

I would start with Bodesako's essay "Change", particularly the first half. (It bogs down a little in the second half with his elaboration of the recursive nature of samsara.)

I don't want to put too much emphasis on it, but an understanding of Heidegger's concept of being-in-the-world is also helpful in understanding what Ñanavira is getting at. I have always found the last several paragraphs of Letter 121 rather striking:

http://nanavira.xtreemhost.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You have just made a good argument for starting Nanananda and probably not bothering with Nanavira.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

tiltbillings wrote:You have just made a good argument for starting Nanananda and probably not bothering with Nanavira.
Should I bite my tongue...? No. You haven't read the book, so you're not really qualified to give people advice on whether they should or should not read it.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:You have just made a good argument for starting Nanananda and probably not bothering with Nanavira.
Should I bite my tongue...? No. You haven't read the book, so you're not really qualified to give people advice on whether they should or should not read it.
Which book havent I read? Having to deal with Buddhism filtered through Heidegger is less appealing than Heidegger alone, unless you like to deal with overwrought philosophiocal language. We have seen a nice example of that from Nanavira and Bodhesako in an earlier thread. If Mr Gordo wants to read that stuff, he certainly should. It is his mind he gets to make up and opinions vary.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

For what it's worth, I'd never heard of Heidegger, yet found Nanavira's Notes On Dhamma very beneficial. I do have a Philosophy major though, so I'm not sure whether that's got something to do with it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
nyanasuci

Post by nyanasuci »

I already know by now that when I see a fox on forums related to Nanavira, something negative will come out.

Anyway, mr. gordo, I suggest that you first read Suttas (!), and time to time read Ven. Nanavira (start with The Tragic, Comic and Personal), Bodhesako (Change) and Nanananda.... but avoid abhidhamma and comentaries, if you like to speed up to Nibbana. ;)
Bhikkhu Hiriko - Ñāṇasuci

The experts do not say that one is a sage in this world because of view, or learning, or knowledge, Nanda.
I call them sages who wander without association, without affliction, without desire.

The Buddha, Sn.V.8.2 (1078)

http://pathpress.org | http://nanavira.org | http://ajahnchah.org
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

nyanasuci wrote:
I already know by now that when I see a fox on forums related to Nanavira, something negative will come out.

Anyway, mr. gordo, I suggest that you first read Suttas (!), and time to time read Ven. Nanavira (start with The Tragic, Comic and Personal), Bodhesako (Change) and Nanananda.... but avoid abhidhamma and comentaries, if you like to speed up to Nibbana. ;)
He said, being negative.

KerMax

Re: Bodhesako, Nanavira & Ñanananda - Which Books to Start W

Post by KerMax »

nyanasuci wrote:

Hello,
I take the liberty to create pdf files from the texts of Bodhesako available on Path Press website. It's easier to read this way. :

Change
http://docdroid.net/ez86

Beginnings
http://docdroid.net/ez8a

Source :
http://pathpress.wordpress.com/bodhesako/change/
http://pathpress.wordpress.com/bodhesak ... %20suttas/