Arahants and sexual desire

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chownah

Arahants and sexual desire

Postby chownah » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Someone claimed that any topic with sex in the title would go at least 10 pages...so let's see:

In another thread someone posted, "an anagami (and arahant) has eradicated the fetter of sensual desire and thus such a person would never experience the arising of desire for sex." ......and I'm just wondering if this is true. Would an arahant not have the arising of sexual desire or might an arahant have a sexual feeling but simply just not identify with it or not form any intent (i.e. not make any kamma) as a result of the arising?...or something like that?

chownah

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Arahants and sexual desire

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:06 pm

The Nine things an Arahant cannot do:

1. Store up possessions
2. Intentionally kill any form of life
3. Steal
4. Perform sexual intercourse
5. Tell a deliberate lie
6. Act improperly out of desire
7. Act improperly out of ill-will
8. Act improperly out of delusion
9. Act improperly out of fear

(from Anguttara Nikaya 9.7)

Not because he/she is unable, but because there is no longer the interest. The Arahant acts in accordance to the four Brahma Viharas (Anguttara Nikaya 9.7). Not doing sexual intercourse applies to non-returners too (Anguttara Nikaya 6.63).

A non-returner (anagami) has also eradicated all craving for sense desires.

The noble states of sotapanna and saka-dagami (stream-entrants and once-returners) can still have sense desires.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:22 pm

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 pm

- Peter

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:35 pm

Some more quotes (but really, the scriptures are chock full of these)...

"And what is unyoking from sensuality? There is the case where a certain person discerns, as it actually is present, the origination, the passing away, the allure, the drawbacks, & the escape from sensuality. When he discerns, as it actually is present, the origination, the passing away, the allure, the drawbacks, & the escape from sensuality, then — with regard to sensual objects — he is not obsessed with sensual passion, sensual delight, sensual attraction, sensual infatuation, sensual thirst, sensual fever, sensual fascination, sensual craving. This is unyoking from sensuality." - AN 4.10

"Monks, there are these four floods. Which four? The flood of sensuality, the flood of becoming, the flood of views, & the flood of ignorance. These are the four floods. Now, this noble eightfold path is to be developed for direct knowledge of, comprehension of, the total ending of, & the abandoning of these four floods." - SN 45.171

Vangisa: "I burn with sensual desire, my mind is enflamed (with passion). Out of pity please tell me the effective extinguishing of it."
Ananda: "Your mind is enflamed because of distorted perception. Shun the aspect of beauty associated with passion. See constructions as other, as painful, not as self, (and thus) extinguish strong passion; do not burn again and again." - Thag 21

"Monks, any desire-passion with regard to craving for forms is a defilement of the mind. Any desire-passion with regard to craving for sounds... craving for aromas... craving for flavors... craving for tactile sensations... craving for ideas is a defilement of the mind." - SN 27.8
- Peter

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:56 pm

I see no reason why they wouldnt have that urge (biology doesnt change with Arahantship) but the craving for such experience and clinging would be gone

metta
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

EOD

Postby EOD » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:38 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”