Fine art based on Pali Canon

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
SamKR

Fine art based on Pali Canon

Post by SamKR »

Is there any website for collection of fine arts based on Pali Canon?
I would love to see fine arts related to the life of the Buddha (and the society during his times) and his teachings.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Fine art based on Pali Canon

Post by DNS »

Hi Sam,

Me too! It must be a Nevada thing, as I am interested in that too. We have some of the best collections of fine arts right here in Las Vegas, with the Wynn Collection and others.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I'm away from my library right now, so don't have the exact quote, but this is from the Vinaya, quoted n BuddhismAtoZ.com:
Art (kalā) is the use of imagination to beautify things, or to represent ideas and feelings in painting, drawing and sculpture. The Buddha had little to say on the subject of art, but he obviously saw its value because he said monks and nuns could beautify their monasteries by painting them different colours and decorating them with various geometrical and floral designs (Vin.II,117).
Buddhist architecture is also a form of art and like the use of paintings from the life of Buddha can also be seen as a skillful means for attracting interest in the Dhamma.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

TheDhamma wrote:Buddhist architecture is also a form of art...
Thailand...everywhere in...knocks your socks off... :smile:
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Art (kalā) is the use of imagination to beautify things, or to represent ideas and feelings in painting, drawing and sculpture. The Buddha had little to say on the subject of art, but he obviously saw its value because he said monks and nuns could beautify their monasteries by painting them different colours and decorating them with various geometrical and floral designs (Vin.II,117).
Thanks for that.
I also feel that art related to Dhamma should not be unwholesome. Just like language (words, scripts) it is also a method of communication. Dhamma Arts have power of generating deep inspiration, saddha and energy, I think.
I am particularly interested in real fine arts of painting related to Buddha and his life, Dhamma, Sangha and also the society and culture at the time of the Buddha.
If there were any website dedicated to such paintings/pictures it would be great.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

SamKR wrote:If there were any website dedicated to such paintings/pictures it would be great.
There are many...you just have to 'search' them out... :smile:
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

appicchato wrote:
SamKR wrote:If there were any website dedicated to such paintings/pictures it would be great.
Didn't find any what I wanted...
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

SamKR wrote:Didn't find any what I wanted...
Haven't yet found any you wanted might be another way to look at it...they're there, just depends on the effort you're willing to expend looking...
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

SamKR wrote:
appicchato wrote:
Didn't find any what I wanted...
Dear friend

Have you checked out the link in Bhante's signature?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Sam,

You may find useful the Art section of the Sadhu! directory:

http://www.dhamma.ru/sadhu/modules/myli ... .php?cid=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Dear friend

Yes, I had checked them. Very beautiful pictures.
But I was actually looking for pictures/paintings which show the Buddha's period.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

SamKR wrote:
Dear friend

Yes, I had checked them. Very beautiful pictures.
But I was actually looking for pictures/paintings which show the Buddha's period.
Life of the Buddha sort of thing? If so, they are out there on there inside on temple walls traditionally.

A Google search "Thai paintings" "Buddha's life" maybe?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

I just googled 'Thai Buddhist murals' and there's countless links (not even to mention Mahayana art ) to some beautiful stuff...what you're looking for is out there...
Kare

Post by Kare »

Try to google "gandhara".
Mettāya,
Kåre