What were they thinking?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: What were they thinking?

Post by DNS »

cooran wrote: an all-male panel on the "risks and benefits" of opening Buddhist leadership to women
One or two or even a few men on the panel who are knowledgeable would not be so bad, but the entire panel is not a good idea. And the wording of "risks and benefits" is totally out of line. Women have been in leadership positions from the beginning. Imagine if you replace 'women' with some other minority demographic group and how inappropriate that would sound and be. And then imagine a panel consisting of only the dominant demographic group discussing the "risks and benefits" of opening Buddhist leadership to them.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

cooran wrote:
plwk wrote::popcorn:

Rita, We invited a number of women to contribute to the symposium, but they either didn't respond or declined to participate.
You were among those we invited to contribute. You didn't respond to the invitation.
In light of that fact, I'm quite puzzled that you're accusing us of "unbelievable levels of ignorance and arrogance."
We would love to add a contribution from you if you're willing.
Hello plwk,

Could you give a link to where this quote is from? - or specify, if there is no link.

With metta,
Chris
The most recent comment, from the link in the OP:
Reply by Rita Gross wrote: August 21, 2014, 2:18 pm

First I want to set the record straight. I was NOT initially invited to write for this panel when it was being planned. It was already a fait accompli BEFORE I knew anything about it. I was first made aware of this all-male panel last Friday morning by Tricycle magazine, which sent me the link and asked me to comment on this inappropriate panel. My initial reactions are captured in the blog I ended up writing for Tricycle, which is posted above My reactions to what was already a finished piece seem to be quite typical to those of other Buddhist women leaders. I was incredulous that anyone could think that in 2014 an all-male panel discussing Buddhist women’s leadership was appropriate. I must emphasize again that no one from Pantheos approached me to contribute to this panel BEFORE it was posted in its all-male form.

Later last Friday morning, well after the panel had been posted and I was already writing about my reactions for Tricycle, someone from Pantheos did email me, asking me if I wanted to join the panel. That was too little, too late. I don’t know whether or when other women may have been invited to write for this panel, but I was not invited in a timely or an appropriate fashion. I am not going to become the token woman trying to rescue this misguided venture. Women have been asked to play that role far too often.

Thus, I am dismayed to read in comments above that Pantheos claims I was asked to participate in this panel and refused. As you can see from the timeline I narrate, it is not correct to claim that I was invited to participate in this panel. I was only asked to rescue it and the fact that mis-information about the supposed "invitation" I received is posted only increases my incredulity about the whole set of events.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I had a closer look and does seem to be nothing more than paper submission. I guess it may be like a discussion board but no idea. Don't see the page with the articles.

If the contributors were added as they submitted all men could happen but unfortunately this looks doubtful. I wonder how the pathos may react to the latest comment.

If they used the "risks and benefits" and kept the Asian theme I could understand it being somewhat ironic, however. ...

As to what they were thinking, maybe they came accross Ava Vidal from the Daily Telegraph and thought WTH.

“Surely, (International Men’s Day, it’s a touch ironic isn’t it chaps?) a lot of things International Men’s Day has been set up to tackle…are already being done so within the feminist movement”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... chaps.html

This may be ok if each controbutor was added when they submitted but
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sometimes I'm :embarassed: to be an Aussie and in the last little while that problem has had a strong connection with our Prime Minister. :embarassed: :embarassed:
I post this in spite of the :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: ignominy he brings on us, as a service to those who think Pantheos is alone in its antediluvian blindness.
When the Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, announced his new cabinet on Monday, it was broad brushstroke. A day later, we discover Mr Abbott will be responsible for women's policies and programs, with the assistance of West Australian senator Michaelia Cash, as minister assisting.
His reason? "This will ensure that these key whole-of-government priorities are at the centre of government." And the real agenda? To ensure that he has final control over decisions which affect women. His values align with a society which says women are not equal. It's not just that they are not the same as men, they don't deserve equality.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/tony-abbo ... z3B5FnKJMd
And do click on that link, so you can count the woman in his cabinet.
:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

:jedi:
Kim
cooran

Post by cooran »

Well said, Kim!! :rolleye:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
chownah

Post by chownah »

I found the place at Patheos (note: there is no 'n' in Patheos).

http://www.patheos.com/Topics/2014-Reli ... dhist.html

Here is the introduction:
"While immigrant Buddhist communities often retain their traditions of male leadership—as priests, monks, and dharma instructors—many contemporary Buddhist centers are exploring new ways to integrate women into leadership roles. At the same time, a disturbing rise in abuse and inappropriate conduct has highlighted a need for greater attention to teacher-student relations and physical and emotional well-being.

Given the long centuries of Buddhist history and the entrenched traditions that create obstacles for women who seek leadership roles, what are the risks and benefits of opening Buddhist leadership to women? What are the philosophical, theological, and ethical resources upon which such efforts at greater inclusivity can draw? How can different streams of Buddhist tradition each contribute to conversations about gender equality?'
-----------------------
This is followed by the presentation of the various papers submitted. There is a comment section for each individual paper.
chownah
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

This is for the UK
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

chownah wrote: http://www.patheos.com/Topics/2014-Reli ... dhist.html
"....At the same time, a disturbing rise in abuse and inappropriate conduct has highlighted a need for greater attention to teacher-student relations and physical and emotional well-being.
But what has that got to do with integrating women into leadership roles? :thinking:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
sattva

Post by sattva »

The appropriate response to what were they thinking?

Obviously, they weren't thinking. My own feeling is to now let it go.
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
chownah

Post by chownah »

Spiny Norman wrote:
chownah wrote: http://www.patheos.com/Topics/2014-Reli ... dhist.html
"....At the same time, a disturbing rise in abuse and inappropriate conduct has highlighted a need for greater attention to teacher-student relations and physical and emotional well-being.
But what has that got to do with integrating women into leadership roles? :thinking:
I can see a connection but if you can't then just forget it......
I am not taking a position on what they have said.....I just presented it to inform people about what is/was happening/happened. There seems to be alot of uninformed comments on this thread and I hoped that if people had access to the website etc. that the comments would be more informed.
chownah