Jhana, Upekkha & the the 5 Hindrances

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
christopher:::

Jhana, Upekkha & the the 5 Hindrances

Postby christopher::: » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:19 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Jhana, Upekkha & the the 5 Hindrances

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:35 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:13 pm

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:46 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:19 pm

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:17 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:26 am

Greetings Tilt,

Yes, but not overly dissimilar to the Satipatthana techniques on body parts.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:42 am

Why are we evaluating somebody else's contemplation technique here? I don't see how this benefits anyone, or what it has to do with the OP. Maybe I'm missing something here ...

BlackBird, best wishes for success in your practice. Thank you for your efforts.
:anjali:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:53 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:08 am

Postby christopher::: » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:07 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:19 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:31 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:41 am

Like everything, it is never quite so simple as the traditional dry insight vs jhanas divide, as we can see in the discussions of the , a coinage coming out of the Mahasi Sayadaw tradition. One thing this suggests is that the traditional commentarial descriptions of the jhanas are not quite the full picture and that dry insight is not quite so dry.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 am

Postby christopher::: » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:44 am

Moggalana

Postby Moggalana » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 am

There is some good information about jhanas on Leigh Brasington's site: http://www.leighb.com/jhanas.htm
Including a short compendium about the various interpretations of jhana: http://www.leighb.com/jhanantp.htm
Ajahn Brahm's book "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" and Shaila Catherine's "Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity" are also highly recommended.
You will encounter very different opinions about this topic, with each party emphasizing that their way is the only right way (not everyone does that though). There is also a book about samadhi ("The Experience of Samadhi") with several interviews (Jack Kornfield, Ajaan Thanissaro, Sharon Salzberg, Bhante Gunaratana, Christina Feldman, Leigh Brasington, Ajahn Brahm, Pa Auk Sayadaw) which gives a good overview of the broad spectrum of opinions.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.

Postby christopher::: » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks for those suggestions, Moggalana.

"Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity"
sounds really good. As i was walking outside just now i was contemplating the relationship of mindfulness, concentration & upekkha to insight/clarity and the hindrances...

It's always seemed like the calmer I feel the happier and more appreciative i am about life. My ego makes less noise. Experiences flow smoothly and its like there's no need to grasp or push away anything. There's just this satisfaction with life moment-to-moment, just as it is...

When things click into place the dhamma is so wonderful.

Unfortunately- up till now at least- moments of peace and clarity like this rarely last...

Two amazing years when i first lived in Japan. Two years of deep calm in grad school... but since then its like these periods will last for a few hours, weeks or months and then something will happen and i'm back on samsara's treadmill again...

:tongue:

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:51 pm

EOD

Postby EOD » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”