Most important texts

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Most important texts

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:09 am

What would everyone say the three most important parts (sutta or otherwise) of the canon are, the essential teachings?

I would probably say Mahasatipatthana sutta, the vinaya rules (not read the rest so cant make a decisive decission on the vinaya) and Mahāviyūha Sutta

what would you say were the three most important bits?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Most important texts

Postby cooran » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 am

Hello Manapa,

I prefer not to say that any part is more important than others - the whole of the Tipitaka is important.
However, these suttas I found to be quite profound, and come back to them time after time.

The Mahanidana Sutta and commentaries (This is Thanissaro's trans. - but I prefer Bhikkhu Bodhi's.)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

The Mulapariyaya Sutta and commentaries (This is Thanissaro's trans. - but I prefer Bhikkhu Bodhi's.)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

The Brahmajala Sutta and commentaries (This is Lee Brassington's trans. - but I prefer Bhikkhu Bodhi's).
http://www.leighb.com/dn1.htm

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:24 am

Just as a matter of curiosity Chris , are there legal or perhaps technical reasons why it is not possible to quote Bhikkhu Bodhis translations ?

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:24 am

I don't think there is apart from symbolicly, I have seen allot of Bodhis work on google books which are pretty much the complete book or the complete book.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Manapa wrote:What would everyone say the three most important parts (sutta or otherwise) of the canon are, the essential teachings?

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (First Sermon, SN 56.11)
Kalama Sutta (AN 3.65, includes the Brahma Viharas too)
Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta (MN 10)

What more do you really need? :tongue:

But seriously, all of the Canon is great, but the above three summarize it all and can take you to Nibbana. Some don't have the time or resources to read all of the approximately 20,000 pages of the Tipitaka. The above three would be a great start and study material for years if one does not have access to the whole Canon.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Sanghamitta wrote:Just as a matter of curiosity Chris , are there legal or perhaps technical reasons why it is not possible to quote Bhikkhu Bodhis translations ?

:anjali:

Hello Sanghamitta,

The Suttas are not audio clips of a talk with the Buddha. They are the profound teachings of a spiritual genius, and are packed layer on layer with meaning. They were memorised by special groups of bhikkhus to ensure the Teachings were not lost or distorted through the ages, and need to be 'unpacked' by someone skilled in the Dhamma. e.g. Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation and explanation of the Brahmajala Sutta and commentaries runs to 338 pages.

metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby clw_uk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:56 pm

For me they are all important but they are all important at different times

metta
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby kidd » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 pm

What could be more important than The Eightfold Path; the path by which everything else can be known?

:juggling:

Edit: Sorry. The Dhammacakkappavattana-sutta, "Setting in Motion the Wheel of Truth". Thank you, Chris!
Last edited by kidd on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kidd

Postby cooran » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Hello kidd,

This thread is about Most Important Texts.

Which text about the 8 Fold Path are you favouring?

metta
Chris
cooran

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 pm

:offtopic:

as the one who started this thread I would like to know what everyone thinks the three most important parts of the Tipitaka :focus:
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Kare » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Manapa wrote::offtopic:

as the one who started this thread I would like to know what everyone thinks the three most important parts of the Tipitaka :focus:

The three most important parts of the Tipitaka? May I suggest Vinayapitaka, Suttapitaka and Abhidhammapitaka? :mrgreen:

Seriously ... personally I would place the Mahasatipatthana among the most important suttas. As for the two others, I just have too many potential candidates ... sorry. And the text I felt was important to me yesterday, is not necessarily the text I feel important to me today. Maybe the Mulapariyayasutta should be among the three. Or perhaps rather the Bahiyasutta from the Udana, which gives the same teaching in a shorter format.

But why just 3 texts?

In cooperation with a small working group I have just finished editing and translating an anthology of important texts for the Buddhist Society of Norway. We chose to include 233 texts in the collection. We could have included a few more, or excluded a few of them, but we feel that these selections cover the main aspect of the Buddha's life and teachings. This book is going to be published later this year.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Greetings Manapa,

Do you mean objectively or personally?

Either way, it would probably be these three, read in this order.

1. Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (SN 56.11)
2. Mahasatipatthana Sutta (DN 22) (although I personally prefer MN 10 - less 'insertions')
3. Kaccayanagotta Sutta (SN 12.15)

Kalama Sutta would have to be there or there abouts too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Kare wrote:The three most important parts of the Tipitaka? May I suggest Vinayapitaka, Suttapitaka and Abhidhammapitaka? :mrgreen:

:jumping: I was tempted to write that, but you beat me to it.

In cooperation with a small working group I have just finished editing and translating an anthology of important texts for the Buddhist Society of Norway. We chose to include 233 texts in the collection. We could have included a few more, or excluded a few of them, but we feel that these selections cover the main aspect of the Buddha's life and teachings. This book is going to be published later this year.

I assume that it will be in Norwegian? Excellent! The Wheel of Dhamma keeps turning! Much merit!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:57 pm

Hi Kare & Retro
you will have to post the bits that were kept in!
but why not both?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:58 am

1. The Bhikkhu Paṭimokkha
2. The Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta
3. The Mahāparinibbāna Sutta.

1. Because it was Subhadda's suggestion after the Buddha's demise that the bhikkhus could now do as they wished, and it was this that led to the convening of the First Buddhist Council to preserve the Dhamma while it was still intact. The Vinaya was recited first, as it is the life-blood of the Sāsana, and the bhikkhus are the guardians of the true Dhamma. If the bhikkhus neglect to observe the Vinaya rules, the Buddha's true teachings will soon disappear.

2. Using the right method is crucial to gain insight. The Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta includes all of the important teachings for the correct and diligent practice of mindfulness. There is no way to develop insight without first establishing mindfulness.

3. The Mahāparinibbāna Sutta is a chronology of the last six months of the Buddha's life. In it, he reiterates the essential points of his teachings again and again. For example, take the Dhamma as your dīpa — your guiding light¹ and refuge — take no other refuge. That is, follow a wise and well-behaved teacher by all means, but don't let it become a clique or a cult. Think for yourself, study the texts, and observe the prescribed morality for Buddhists, whether lay or monastic.

¹ Often translated as "refuge," but I think a better translation in this context is "light." The word saraṇa = "refuge" is also used in the same passage:
attadīpo viharati attasaraṇo anaññasaraṇo, dhammadīpo dhammasaraṇo anaññasaraṇo.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Kare » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Manapa wrote:Hi Kare & Retro
but why not both?

I have been trying to figure out what you meant by this posting, but have to admit that my understanding of English just breaks down here. What did you mean? :?:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:17 am

Kare wrote:
but why not both?

I have been trying to figure out what you meant by this posting, but have to admit that my understanding of English just breaks down here. What did you mean? :?:

it was a duel responce maybe I should of broken it up more how about now?
Hi Kare
Hi Retro
but why not both?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Raga Mala » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:27 pm

I am surprised no one has so far grouped together the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, the Anatta-lukkhana Sutta, and the Aditta-pariyaya Sutta. Bhikkhu Nanamoli groups them together as the "three cardinal discourses of the Buddha."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el017.html
"It is easier to shout 'STOP!' than to do it." -Treebeard
Raga Mala

Postby Kare » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:20 pm

Manapa wrote:
Kare wrote:
but why not both?

it was a duel responce maybe I should of broken it up more how about now?
Hi Kare

What kind of bits? Kept in where? What are you talking about? ( ... feeling incredibly stupid ...) :toilet:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby BlackBird » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:31 pm

Kare wrote:
Manapa wrote:it was a duel responce maybe I should of broken it up more how about now?
Hi Kare

What kind of bits? Kept in where? What are you talking about?

Hi Kare

I know I shouldn't speak for another poster, but my interpretation was that it would be nice to see a list of the Suttas that were included in your Anthology.

Metta :heart:
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Next

Return to Discovering Theravāda