Most important texts

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Cittasanto

Most important texts

Post by Cittasanto »

What would everyone say the three most important parts (sutta or otherwise) of the canon are, the essential teachings?

I would probably say Mahasatipatthana sutta, the vinaya rules (not read the rest so cant make a decisive decission on the vinaya) and Mahāviyūha Sutta

what would you say were the three most important bits?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
cooran

Re: Most important texts

Post by cooran »

Hello Manapa,

I prefer not to say that any part is more important than others - the whole of the Tipitaka is important.
However, these suttas I found to be quite profound, and come back to them time after time.

The Mahanidana Sutta and commentaries (This is Thanissaro's trans. - but I prefer Bhikkhu Bodhi's.)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Mulapariyaya Sutta and commentaries (This is Thanissaro's trans. - but I prefer Bhikkhu Bodhi's.)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Brahmajala Sutta and commentaries (This is Lee Brassington's trans. - but I prefer Bhikkhu Bodhi's).
http://www.leighb.com/dn1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Just as a matter of curiosity Chris , are there legal or perhaps technical reasons why it is not possible to quote Bhikkhu Bodhis translations ?

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I don't think there is apart from symbolicly, I have seen allot of Bodhis work on google books which are pretty much the complete book or the complete book.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Manapa wrote:What would everyone say the three most important parts (sutta or otherwise) of the canon are, the essential teachings?
Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (First Sermon, SN 56.11)
Kalama Sutta (AN 3.65, includes the Brahma Viharas too)
Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta (MN 10)

What more do you really need? :tongue:

But seriously, all of the Canon is great, but the above three summarize it all and can take you to Nibbana. Some don't have the time or resources to read all of the approximately 20,000 pages of the Tipitaka. The above three would be a great start and study material for years if one does not have access to the whole Canon.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Sanghamitta wrote:Just as a matter of curiosity Chris , are there legal or perhaps technical reasons why it is not possible to quote Bhikkhu Bodhis translations ?

:anjali:
Hello Sanghamitta,

The Suttas are not audio clips of a talk with the Buddha. They are the profound teachings of a spiritual genius, and are packed layer on layer with meaning. They were memorised by special groups of bhikkhus to ensure the Teachings were not lost or distorted through the ages, and need to be 'unpacked' by someone skilled in the Dhamma. e.g. Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation and explanation of the Brahmajala Sutta and commentaries runs to 338 pages.

metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

For me they are all important but they are all important at different times

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
kidd

Post by kidd »

What could be more important than The Eightfold Path; the path by which everything else can be known?

:juggling:

Edit: Sorry. The Dhammacakkappavattana-sutta, "Setting in Motion the Wheel of Truth". Thank you, Chris!
Last edited by kidd on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello kidd,

This thread is about Most Important Texts.

Which text about the 8 Fold Path are you favouring?

metta
Chris
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

:offtopic:

as the one who started this thread I would like to know what everyone thinks the three most important parts of the Tipitaka :focus:

John Stuart Mill
Kare

Post by Kare »

Manapa wrote::offtopic:

as the one who started this thread I would like to know what everyone thinks the three most important parts of the Tipitaka :focus:
The three most important parts of the Tipitaka? May I suggest Vinayapitaka, Suttapitaka and Abhidhammapitaka? :mrgreen:

Seriously ... personally I would place the Mahasatipatthana among the most important suttas. As for the two others, I just have too many potential candidates ... sorry. And the text I felt was important to me yesterday, is not necessarily the text I feel important to me today. Maybe the Mulapariyayasutta should be among the three. Or perhaps rather the Bahiyasutta from the Udana, which gives the same teaching in a shorter format.

But why just 3 texts?

In cooperation with a small working group I have just finished editing and translating an anthology of important texts for the Buddhist Society of Norway. We chose to include 233 texts in the collection. We could have included a few more, or excluded a few of them, but we feel that these selections cover the main aspect of the Buddha's life and teachings. This book is going to be published later this year.
Mettāya,
Kåre
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,

Do you mean objectively or personally?

Either way, it would probably be these three, read in this order.

1. Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (SN 56.11)
2. Mahasatipatthana Sutta (DN 22) (although I personally prefer MN 10 - less 'insertions')
3. Kaccayanagotta Sutta (SN 12.15)

Kalama Sutta would have to be there or there abouts too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kare wrote: The three most important parts of the Tipitaka? May I suggest Vinayapitaka, Suttapitaka and Abhidhammapitaka? :mrgreen:
:jumping: I was tempted to write that, but you beat me to it.
In cooperation with a small working group I have just finished editing and translating an anthology of important texts for the Buddhist Society of Norway. We chose to include 233 texts in the collection. We could have included a few more, or excluded a few of them, but we feel that these selections cover the main aspect of the Buddha's life and teachings. This book is going to be published later this year.
I assume that it will be in Norwegian? Excellent! The Wheel of Dhamma keeps turning! Much merit!
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Kare & Retro
you will have to post the bits that were kept in!
but why not both?

John Stuart Mill
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. The Bhikkhu Paṭimokkha
2. The Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta
3. The Mahāparinibbāna Sutta.

1. Because it was Subhadda's suggestion after the Buddha's demise that the bhikkhus could now do as they wished, and it was this that led to the convening of the First Buddhist Council to preserve the Dhamma while it was still intact. The Vinaya was recited first, as it is the life-blood of the Sāsana, and the bhikkhus are the guardians of the true Dhamma. If the bhikkhus neglect to observe the Vinaya rules, the Buddha's true teachings will soon disappear.

2. Using the right method is crucial to gain insight. The Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta includes all of the important teachings for the correct and diligent practice of mindfulness. There is no way to develop insight without first establishing mindfulness.

3. The Mahāparinibbāna Sutta is a chronology of the last six months of the Buddha's life. In it, he reiterates the essential points of his teachings again and again. For example, take the Dhamma as your dīpa — your guiding light¹ and refuge — take no other refuge. That is, follow a wise and well-behaved teacher by all means, but don't let it become a clique or a cult. Think for yourself, study the texts, and observe the prescribed morality for Buddhists, whether lay or monastic.

¹ Often translated as "refuge," but I think a better translation in this context is "light." The word saraṇa = "refuge" is also used in the same passage:
attadīpo viharati attasaraṇo anaññasaraṇo, dhammadīpo dhammasaraṇo anaññasaraṇo.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)