Number 37

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Number 37

Post by tiltbillings »

For those of you following the healthcare "Debates" here in the USA:

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Number 37

Post by DNS »

It is a public health care option, yet there is so much debate. The rhetoric against it is incredible. No one would be "forced" into government care.

But unfortunately, Pres. Obama appears to be caving in to the right-wingers and may drop the public option out of the bill. In my opinion, it should have the public-option included or otherwise just forget the whole thing.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I'm not american, so I'm not well informed about the healthcare system in the USA. From the litle I know, your system is caos. Portugal is #12 and we have, in many aspects, a bad healthcare system. But I can't imagine living in a country were health is not universal and for free. Paying 500 dollars just for geting inside a hospital plus the price of the treatment is inhumane. And all in name of the free market. Hurray to troglodyte capitalism :woohoo:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Tex

Post by Tex »

I read a poll that showed that 73% of physicians support the public option.

The greed on display by those who oppose the public option is staggering and frightening. I suppose I should be used to it by now, but it still gets me.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

For those interested, here goes Michael Moore's movie "Sicko" about USA's health insurances:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=s ... emb=0&aq=f#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

What is also sad is how many sentient beings are ignorant enough to believe the rhetoric and propaganda given to them by the Republican agenda, distributed through the Fox News network. Although it's ironic to call them a news station, because most of their airtime is anything but news.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hello all.
Perhaps the tide is turning a little

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/1 ... 90658.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks