Most Important Ideas of Theravadin Buddhism?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
christopher:::

Most Important Ideas of Theravadin Buddhism?

Post by christopher::: »

I just looked into another thread and saw Manapa mentioning the importance of kalyânamittas. Not knowing what the word meant i did a quick search and found "Good Dhamma Friends." A few months ago I started reading about the 4 brahma viharas. What simple wisdom! I kinda knew these from my own experience but didn't have words for them.

The deeper I go into the teachings of the elders the more humbled, inspired and impressed I am. Buddha taught so much more beyond the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path. What do you feel are the most important ideas and insights of Theravadin Buddhism? If you can say a bit about why these ideas are important and explain the terms, that would be a great gift for many of us newcomers.

Thank you, with many many deep bows,
Chris::
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
retrofuturist

Re: Most Important Ideas of Theravadin Buddhism?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris:::,

Have you read...?

DN 22: Maha-Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

retrofuturist wrote: Have you read...?

DN 22: Maha-Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No. Wow. Brilliant. I just printed it out and have only gotten into the intro so far. There seems to be a correspondence there to what Shunryu Suzuki called Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. Also, Zen teachers sometimes talk cryptically about bringing zazen awareness to all of life, off the cushion. What they recommend sounds a lot like sati...
Translator's Introduction

The word "satipatthana" is the name for an approach to meditation aimed at establishing sati, or mindfulness. The term sati is related to the verb sarati, to remember or to keep in mind. It is sometimes translated as non-reactive awareness, free from agendas, simply present with whatever arises, but the formula for satipatthana doesn't support that translation. Non-reactive awareness is actually an aspect of equanimity, a quality fostered in the course of satipatthana. The activity of satipatthana, however, definitely has a motivating agenda: the desire for Awakening, which is classed not as a cause of suffering, but as part of the path to its ending (see SN 51.15). The role of mindfulness is to keep the mind properly grounded in the present moment in a way that will keep it on the path. To make an analogy, Awakening is like a mountain on the horizon, the destination to which you are driving a car. Mindfulness is what remembers to keep attention focused on the road to the mountain, rather than letting it stay focused on glimpses of the mountain or get distracted by other paths leading away from the road.
Thanks Retro! I'll be reading this over the next few days.

:reading:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher:::,

Let me suggest that you track down a copy of The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: Satipatthna: A Handbook of Mental Training Based on the Buddha's Way of Mindfulness by Thera Nyanaponika and Joseph Goldstein's Experience of Insight , both of which you can get used on Amazon for next to nothing plus shipping. They are the Western classics in the discussion of mindfulness/vipassana/satipatthana meditation and are well worth the time spent with them.

tilt
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I dont know the Goldstein, but The Heart Of Buddhist Meditation, is an absolute classic. I have an ancient hard back copy which I still refer to frequently.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:I dont know the Goldstein, but The Heart Of Buddhist Meditation, is an absolute classic. I have an ancient hard back copy which I still refer to frequently.
Some people do not look to lay teachers with the same favor they look to ordained teachers.

Joseph Goldstein is a very long time practitioner who has worked with and continues to work with Theravadin teachers such as the late Munidra-ji and U Pandita. He well grounded in the Pali/Theravdin tradition and he is able make the Dhamma accessible without compromising it. He is an excellent teacher. The book I mentioned by him is quite old, but is still worth the read. I have a very warm place in my heart for it, as I do Nyanaponika's book. Goldstein's book talks about the Dhamma in terms of actual practice, being talks given during a meditation retreat, which makes it a nice compliment to Ven Nyanaponika's book.

Here are some talks by him. Take a listen. You might like what you hear:

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Hey guys :smile:
tiltbillings wrote:christopher:::,

Let me suggest that you track down a copy of The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: Satipatthna: A Handbook of Mental Training Based on the Buddha's Way of Mindfulness by Thera Nyanaponika and Joseph Goldstein's Experience of Insight , both of which you can get used on Amazon for next to nothing plus shipping. They are the Western classics in the discussion of mindfulness/vipassana/satipatthana meditation and are well worth the time spent with them.

tilt
Thanks Tilt..!

It's moved to the top of my book purchase list... I actually have a Goldstein book that had helped me out a lot maybe 15 years ago that i took down off the shelf Monday, though i forgot the title right now (on break here at work)...

Any more specific Goldstein audio talks you recommend? I'm about half way thru Hindrances....

:anjali:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher::: wrote:

Any specific Goldstein talks you recommend? I'm about half way thru Hindrances....

Any of them.

tiltbillings wrote:
christopher::: wrote:

Any specific Goldstein talks you recommend? I'm about half way thru Hindrances....

Any of them.
Well this should keep me busy for a few months, lol. In line with my reading assignment from Retro...

Satipatthana Sutta Series: Parts 1-46

:thumbsup:
being5

Post by being5 »

Hello Chris & all,

Also a newcomer, I listened to a lot of Joseph Goldstein's talks and they were very helpful. But I found these talks from Bhikkhu Bodhi to be in a class of their own. I got so much benefit from them.
The Buddha's Teaching As It Is by Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/about- ... it-is.html

Bhante Gunaratana and Bante Rahula's discourses have also given me great benefit.
http://www.bhavanasociety.org/list/category/MP3s/

I have the feeling that these three, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Bhante Gunaratana and Bhante Rahula, are pointing out the path faithfully from the teachings and I trust what they say. I feel very grateful for their efforts and those of Joseph Goldstein.

being5
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

being5 wrote:
I have the feeling that these three, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Bhante Gunaratana and Bhante Rahula, are pointing out the path faithfully from the teachings and I trust what they say. I feel very grateful for their efforts and those of Joseph Goldstein.

being5
Joseph Goldstein is no less faithful to the Buddha's teachings as found in the Pali/Theravada tradition, which comes from careful Dhamma study with the likes of U Pandita, and considerable meditative practice under the guidance of the likes of U Pandita.

It is, of course, a matter what speak to you.

Anyway. Thanks for the links.

being5

Post by being5 »

titlbillings wrote:
Joseph Goldstein is no less faithful to the Buddha's teachings as found in the Pali/Theravada tradition,
From other posts of yours I think you have a very good knowledge of the teachings and so are in a position to gauge this.
Joseph Goldstein's talks have been very helpful to me. So warm and human, with lots of real world examples from his own experience which helped me understand how I might practise in everyday, 21st century life and also gave me insights into what was happening in my formal sitting practice. I am pleased to hear you say Joseph's take on the teachings is sound.

being5
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

christopher::: wrote:Buddha taught so much more beyond the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path.
Actually this is all the Buddha taught.
These Four Noble Truths are very profound, and every teaching within the Pali Canon is simply a constituent elaboration.
Venerable Bhikkhu Moneyya wrote: "The Four Noble Truths are the central teaching of the
Buddha, like the hub of a wheel from which the spokes of all
his other teachings radiate."
- http://paauk.org/files/tt_web_03mar07.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Venerable Ajahn Sumedho wrote: "The Dhamacakkappavattana Sutta, the Buddha's teaching on the Four Noble Truths, has been the main reference that I have used for my practice over the years. It is the teaching we used in our monastery in Thailand. The Theravada school of Buddhism regards this sutta as the quintessence of the teaching of the Buddha. This one sutta contains all that is necessary for understanding Dhamma and for enlightenment."
- http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/cpg1420 ... obltru.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would really recommend reading the book in the second link by the Venerable Ajahn Sumedho (if you haven't already done so). It's something I regularly refer back to, and contains a wealth of wisdom.

Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks

Hi Jack,

Yes, indeed. It would be more accurate to say the 4 Noble Truths and 8FP are far deeper and more elaborate then I had realized.
BlackBird wrote:
- http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/cpg1420 ... obltru.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would really recommend reading the book in the second link by the Venerable Ajahn Sumedho (if you haven't already done so). It's something I regularly refer back to, and contains a wealth of wisdom.
Thank you! My Theravadin reading list is growing. I just need to find a printer that will print this 2-sided.

:thumbsup:

Two copies of The Heart of Buddhist Meditation, by Thera Nyanaponika arrived in excellent condition from Amazon Japan yesterday. Thanks again for the recommendation, Tilt..!

I'll be giving the second copy to my friend Michael. He's been interested in Theravadin Buddhism for some time, now we have something in common. Our conversations were limited when I spoke mostly Zen...

:tongue: