Starting Mahasi-style again - questions

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Invincible_Summer

Re: Starting Mahasi-style again - questions

Post by Invincible_Summer »

I understand that being aware of all sensations, feelings, etc that arise is part of insight meditation. But is the awareness supposed to feel like I'm waiting for something to come up so I can blast it with my Awareness Ray? Lately that's how I feel it is - I know that all things are impermanent and all that, but I really feel as if I'm just sniping, as my awareness of an object makes it vanish.
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Invincible_Summer wrote:I understand that being aware of all sensations, feelings, etc that arise is part of insight meditation. But is the awareness supposed to feel like I'm waiting for something to come up so I can blast it with my Awareness Ray? Lately that's how I feel it is - I know that all things are impermanent and all that, but I really feel as if I'm just sniping, as my awareness of an object makes it vanish.
It might be useful, then, to be aware of the feeling of waiting or sniping and see if it subsides. This sounds a bit like restlessness arising and wanting something to happen in the form of a sensation or feeling rising to awareness. Perhaps being aware of that restlessness itself will let it cease. Then if it ceases, be aware of whatever is left after that. If it seems like there's nothing to be aware of, that's just a perception. Be aware of it.
xinuflux

Post by xinuflux »

mikenz66 wrote:The way I've been sometimes instructed is what Bhikkhu Pesala said: in the gaps between the in and out breaths you can note sitting and touching. There are different ways of implementing this "primary object"/"secondary object" approach.

I think most people pick a primary object, such as motion of the abdomen, and only pay brief attention to other objects that come up, unless an object becomes so strong that it really makes sense to make it the primary object.
I like the term Patrick Kearney uses - "grounding object" instead of "primary object". It helps to remind me that it's not necessarily going to be where I spend all my time meditating but, while not optimal, is "ok".
anatta1

Post by anatta1 »

There won't be extinction of suffering, by defeating tanhā first rather than ditthi.
There is an extinction of suffering, by defeating ditthi first rather than tanhā.

sabba danan dhamma danan jinarti
with metta
Welcome any questions and discussions for Abidhamma
[email protected]
Sayargyi U Kyin Shwe's Vipassana Seeker
Burma (Myanmar)
zon1989

Post by zon1989 »

Hi , i have a question about mental noting

as i try to mental note , i observe a very slight movement of the tongue as if i was speaking the noting , that i find to getting in the way of meditating because it takes some energy and precision away and hinders the potential rapidity of noting . Is it something that goes away with the practice , is it something i have to focus to minimise , or something i have to accept and go on .

Thank you
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Invincible_Summer wrote:
mikenz66 wrote: Another approach that can work on a retreat, when you get really mindful and concentrated, is to not really bother to choose a primary object --- just pay attention to whatever comes up. This is sometimes called "choiceless awareness".
Sounds a bit like zazen
Very similar to shikantaza I think.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

mikenz66 wrote: Do keep in mind that the noting is an aid to clearly focussing on objects that arise (as explained by U Pandita above), not the point of the practice. Done properly, it reduces the tendency to have an internal dialog about what is going on. [Some, who I presume are unfamiliar with it, seem to have the misguided impression that it is about internal dialog...]
:goodpost:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
randall

Post by randall »

mikenz66 wrote:
Do keep in mind that the noting is an aid to clearly focussing on objects that arise (as explained by U Pandita above), not the point of the practice. Done properly, it reduces the tendency to have an internal dialog about what is going on. [Some, who I presume are unfamiliar with it, seem to have the misguided impression that it is about internal dialog...]

:anjali:
Mike
"Never verbally repeat the words rising, falling and do not think of rising and falling as words. Be aware only of the actual process of the rising and falling movement of the abdomen..."
Mahasai Sayadaw, Practical Insight Meditation, pg4
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks, that's at the end of this on-line section: http://aimwell.org/practical.html#BasicExerciseI

:anjali:
Mike