Ordination in Sri Lanka

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
ArkA

Re: EXTREME READER DISCRETION ADVISED

Post by ArkA »

melancholy, did you miss this?
Rob1980 wrote:I think that Na Uyana is the by far the best place for someone to learn how to be a monk and learn something about meditation.
Rob1980 wrote:I ordained there from 2007-2011
Rob1980 wrote:Anyway, it was enough for me to be extremely disillusioned with monasticism in general and I disrobed in August 2011, just before the end of the vassa. The only viable option I saw was to live alone in the forests, as do a quite a few forest monks away from all the politics, but I did not have a strong enough foundation in meditation.
I'll restart my yearlong meditation retreat on 15th June 2014, hence will not be here.

"Bhikkhus, there are these three things that shine when exposed, not when concealed. What three? (1) The moon. (2) The sun. (3) The Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata."
- Anguttara Nikaya, 3.131, Paticchanna Sutta

"Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation."
– Rumi

Introduction: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20572
melancholy

Re: Ordination in Sri Lanka

Post by melancholy »

:D ;)

thanks ArkA, good observation. i edited my post.

regards :anjali:
Power can make things disappear, so does me :D

Then the Blessed One said to Ven. Ananda, "Now, if it occurs to any of you — 'The teaching has lost its authority; we are without a Teacher' — do not view it in that way. Whatever Dhamma & Vinaya I have pointed out & formulated for you, that will be your Teacher when I am gone.

-Dīgha Nikāya 16, Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

gO tO wORK, gET mARRIED, hAVE sOME kIDS;
wATCH yOUR tV, fOLLOW fASHION, aCT nORMAL;
pAY yOUR tAXES, pAY yOUR bILLS, oBEY tHE lAW;
aND rEPEAT aFTER mE: "i aM fREE."
ccook70

Post by ccook70 »

Are there a lot of English-speaking teachers and monks at Na Uyana?

I'm interested in NaUyana but I need to have an English-speaking Dhamma teacher.

Thanks,

Corey
happylotus1

Post by happylotus1 »

I lived at Na Uyana about 3 months as a lay practitioner. I felt like this is the ideal place for contemplation and meditation. The area is very large; may be the largest on the earth as a Buddhist Monastic area. In size, it is about 10 times larger than Pa Auk monastery, Burma with about 10 times lesser residing population. Despite its large area, it is well managed. Road and drinking water network are well done surprisingly in such a vast mountainous forest area. Kutis are simple but well designed. Foods are diverse, palatable, and healthy. The place is mixture of old Na tree forest and recently reforested area which are very good for isolation and meditation. The monastery is not crowded with people as the size of the monastery and number of people makes this monastery with low population density. Despite with the negative remarks from some people and even one book is published highlighting negative aspects of this monastery, I am sure that no one will ever regret living in such a peaceful place. Wisdom is "Just don't involve in monastic politics". As Buddha points out "Wander Alone, Like a Rhinoceros".

And yes the main meditation teacher speaks English. there are 15-20 English speaking monks as well.
A householder or householder's son, hearing the Dhamma, gains conviction in the Tathāgata and reflects: 'Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair & beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?