Urgently seeking jhana teachers in Burma and SE Asia

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Mr.SeanStewart

Re: Developing Jhana before Vipassina (Urgently Seeking)

Post by Mr.SeanStewart »

mikenz66 wrote:
daverupa wrote: Putting vipassana and jhana in contrast seems to be based on a misunderstanding.
I don't think anyone putting them in contrast. Nevertheless, many reputable teachers, the Theravada tradition, and many suttas (all of those "gradual training" suttas, for example:"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, the monk directs and inclines it to the knowledge of the ending of the mental fermentations. ...") place development of jhana before the development of the crucial insights.

In any case, such questioning is irrelevant to the OP, who has clearly explained that he wishes to train with reputable Theravada teachers who emphasise development of jhana.

Sean mentions Chanmyay Sayadaw. He might be aware of the statement from him that I quoted more fully here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p212808
Chanmyay Sayadaw wrote:The first type of Vipassana meditation or Insight Meditation is practised by those who have ample time to devote to their meditation. They have to spend maybe three or four months on Samatha meditation. And when they are satisfied with their attainment of jhana concentration they proceed with Vipassana meditation.
It may be that he can find the instruction he seeks at that centre.

:anjali:
Mike
Hey Mike thanks alot this is EXACTLY what im looking for.

The only challenge now is where do i find a retreat that follows this advice?

also if you happen to know where i can find a Ajahn Chah retreat center in bangkok/burma area?
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Sean,

I would sincerely recommend Samatha Trust

http://samatha.org/

Best wishes, Dmytro
Mr.SeanStewart

Post by Mr.SeanStewart »

Thank you Dymtro, is there any location i Thialand/Burma for this?

Dmytro wrote:Hi Sean,

Best wishes, Dmytro
Ben

Post by Ben »

Mr.SeanStewart wrote:Thank you Dymtro, is there any location i Thialand/Burma for this?

Dmytro wrote:Hi Sean,

Best wishes, Dmytro
No, apparently not.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mr.SeanStewart

Jhana Teachers In Burma?

Post by Mr.SeanStewart »

Dear Dhama Framily,

on my search to discovering my teacher iv come up with the following 3 teachers and schools who i know
for sure focus on developing Jhana before vipassina.

1 Ajahn Brahm ~ Australia Monestry
2 Thanissaro bhikkhu - Sandiego CA
3 Pa-Auk School - Burma

My question is do you know any other teacher who is taking on students who is in Burma or Thailand
with name and location would be great.

Thanks so much

Sean

PS. Since i am looking to work directly with a teacher Option 3 Pa-Auk is less favorable,
i heard many people there are left on their own.

PSS. I heard Ajan Chah was focusing on jhana before vipassina but today i visited one of his
monesteries (Wat Pah Nanachat) in Udon Thailand, and i talked to one of the monks
and he didnt know any thing about Jhana.
Ben

Re: Jhana Teachers In Burma?

Post by Ben »

With respect, didn't you start a thread on this exact same subject a few days ago?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Mr.SeanStewart wrote: ... PSS. I heard Ajan Chah was focusing on jhana before vipassina but today i visited one of his
monesteries (Wat Pah Nanachat) in Udon Thailand, and i talked to one of the monks
and he didnt know any thing about Jhana.
WPN is more a kindergarten for ordaining Western seekers in the Ajāhn Chah lineage than a center dedicated to contemplative training. Even so, it is rather amusing that a bhikkhu in this lineage would not know anything about jhāna.

If Ajāhn Ñāṇadhammo is there and has time he would surely be able to answer your questions.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
Mr.SeanStewart

Post by Mr.SeanStewart »

Ben wrote:With respect, didn't you start a thread on this exact same subject a few days ago?

Hi Ben, your right sorry about the double post, i figured this one is a summary of my search
and listing the only actual teachers that are genuinly Jhana focused.

if this is not ok feel free to move/delete thanks again
Ben

Post by Ben »

Mr.SeanStewart wrote:
Ben wrote:With respect, didn't you start a thread on this exact same subject a few days ago?

Hi Ben, your right sorry about the double post, i figured this one is a summary of my search
and listing the only actual teachers that are genuinly Jhana focused.

if this is not ok feel free to move/delete thanks again
No worries, Sean.
I've merged it with the other thread and changed the thread title so that it should attract interest from those who might have information regarding your query.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

bazzaman

Re: Urgently seeking jhana teachers in Burma and SE Asia

Post by bazzaman »

Two points:
1) regarding samatha practice at Chanmyay Yeiktha: yes, it is possible to do up to three months of it there, if one is planning a lengthy stay. i.e. many more months of vipassana afterwards. I did this once many years ago; but the only form of samatha they would permit was metta bhavana. I never heard of anapana being taught there.
I requested permission to do samatha there based upon something I had read by Chanmyay Sayadaw. It is not a common practice there, and, even though I was permitted to do so, it is perhaps viewed as a divergence from the preferred method of practice i.e. Mahasi style vipassana
2) I would not be too concerned about the student teacher ratio at Pa Auk Tawya. As a foreigner, one has more access to Pa Auk Sayadaw (if he is there) than do the local yogis. If Sayadaw is not at the centre, there are other teachers who will take care of the foreign yogis. It is possible to have a daily interview.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
Mr.SeanStewart

Post by Mr.SeanStewart »

Thanks bazzaman very helpful, i just applied for my meditation visa today will be heading there this week

Ben Thank you for your help :)
Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hey everyone,

Sorry for digging out this old topic but I found myself in a position similar to that of OP. I'm now traveling through SE Asia and looking for a jhana retreat (probably about 30 days) in the area. Does anyone know of any monasteries other than Pa Auk?

If not, I'll have to call them. Any etiquette advice? I've never spoken to a monk before ;-)
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

The main Pa Auk monastery may have a large number of monks but there are a number of branches in the country. The one in Thanlyn near Yangon is smaller and has English speaking teachers.
Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

I just realised the jhanas taught at Pa Auk are Visuddhimagga jhanas, which are probably out of my reach. Is anyone aware of teachers, monasteries or centres where I might study sutta jhanas?
theamwan

Post by theamwan »

Mr.SeanStewart wrote:Thanks bazzaman very helpful, i just applied for my meditation visa today will be heading there this week

Ben Thank you for your help :)
Hi Sean - not sure if you are still around but could you advise which meditation centre did you go to for strengthening your Samatha and Jhana practise?

Thanks!