YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

It's Just Ego Again - Dhamma Wheel

It's Just Ego Again

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Thaibebop

It's Just Ego Again

Postby Thaibebop » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Am I right in understanding that emotions like depression and loneliness are just more aspects of a persons ego? I know that humans being social animals need some social interaction to stay mentally healthy. I know the expection is monks in the forest tradition, but that is pretty unique and an example of a person far along in their path of the Dhamma. I feel, however, that society pressures us to be interactive and that maybe we socialize more than we have in past times. This means that depression and loneliness might be more controled, or better, avoided if one was able to remove their ego from their thinking. So, am I right in thinking that these emotions are just ego, or does socialization really need to happen to keep ones mental health? Even most monks live with other monks, so even if there is no talking there is still a sense of socialization or being apart of society, right?

:anjali:

Thaibebop

Re: It's Just Ego Again

Postby Thaibebop » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:30 am

Did I jumble my words again? My post does make sense right? :thinking:

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:53 am

No, I don't think so...(word jumbling)...my understanding is that the emotions you speak of are ego, which is basically a sense of self...so we're chin deep in guano as it is...because, as we know, the sense of self is a hard one to shake...

Even though I, personally, could definitely be known as a recluse, I would find it pretty difficult not to have some contact with others...and (although unrelated), as one hitting his mid-sixties, solitude and self-reliance (or lack thereof) become factors looming larger on the horizon all the time...samsara at it's finest...

Be well... :smile:

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:57 am

Good insights, Bikkhu.

What you wrote makes sense to me, Thaibebop. Sangha is social, we are all social beings. I think a central challenge of the dharma is watching how our minds work. The ego is a name we give to the self-referential emotions and thoughts we experience. From a certain perspective the ego is a fallacy. There is no self. But we feel there is, and all these emotions and thoughts keep arising continuously.

Practice i think is learning to see that, understand how it all works, freeing ourselves from the patterns of mind that cause us suffering. Its also something most of us still need one another for, need the dharma, our teachers and friends, to do this successfully.

:group:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:06 am

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:30 am

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

kidd

Postby kidd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Human beings are social by nature.
What is regarded negatively as ‘ego’ generally refers to preoccupation with one's self.

:juggling:

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:29 pm

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Postby christopher::: » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:34 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:54 am

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:32 am

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:34 am

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:48 am

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:53 am

Postby christopher::: » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:27 am

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:29 am

Postby christopher::: » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:01 am

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”