greetings to everyone

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Tex

Re: greetings to everyone

Post by Tex »

Welcome, Bhante.

:anjali:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Greetings, Bhante. Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:namaste:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TheDhamma wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:but on a side note I need to learn another language ...
Pali :thumbsup:
Aham saṃsandati

(I agree)

Okay, I admit I had to use the dictionary for that one, but one day I'm hoping my Pali will be good enough not to check the dictionary very often. :tongue:
ok I don't have a dictionary!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu

Post by Khemadhammo Bhikkhu »

TheDhamma wrote:
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu wrote: Hello! I am from the Netherlands originally, born and raised in Amsterdam. Congratulations on this great discussion group you've got here! :smile: :smile:
Thanks!

I have been to Amsterdam twice, when I was a child and another when I was a teenager when my birth family and I lived in Deutschland.

A few years ago I read the interesting life story about the Dutch member of parliament, Ayan Hirsi Ali in her book, Infidel.
I see. So you are German originally?
He stopped and called out to the Blessed One: "Stop, recluse! Stop, recluse!"
"I have stopped, Angulimāla, you stop too."
(M ii.100)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Khemadhammo Bhikkhu wrote: I see. So you are German originally?
Hi Bhante,

Not really or sort of (was offered citizenship due to being born there); my parents were stationed there with the U.S. military twice; the first time when I was 0 to 5 and the second time when I was 10 to 15 years old.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Hi Bante,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel. :smile:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu

Manapa wrote:Hi Bhante!
Welcome to dhamma Wheel! :anjali:

maybe you have some thoughts on the training which you could share here http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you would be so kind, it isn't a specifically training orientated thread but certainly wouldn't be outside of the intention of the thread.

but on a side note I need to learn another language all these perfect non-native english speakers and writers are giving me an inferiority complex (or should I focus on my English ability first??? :juggling: :tongue: )

hope to speak to you on occassion
Thanks for the welcome. My english is not the same as a native, but i can manage. i'd say my dutch has gotten worse, these days, since i don't use it much... The thread you're linking to looks quite interesting. So you are at Amavarati now?
(M ii.100)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Khemadhammo Bhikkhu wrote:
Thanks for the welcome. My english is not the same as a native, but i can manage. i'd say my dutch has gotten worse, these days, since i don't use it much... The thread you're linking to looks quite interesting. So you are at Amavarati now?
Hi Bhante,
It is my experiance (or others as the case is) that our grasp of our native language is loosened the longer we don't use it, I know a German fella whos english is as perfect as anyones, and obviously can still speak German, but he noticed that when he had to write something in German he had to send it to a friend of his to correct it, as it was next to illegible, and most of the people I know who are foreners to Briton, have either perfect or it is so good you wouldn't really notice every mistake when they speak, I honestly think it is true what the saying says 'the world speaks English because the engish cant speak to the world' and the old holiday habit of if at first they don't understand say it lounder untill they do is quite apt.
Unfortunately not yet, I will be at Amaravati on the 24th of October for a max of 3 weeks, but definately one week at least, but living it has been interesting so I am glad the thread is also :smile:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu

Thank you for all your welcomes. I am happy to be part of this discussion group, which I notice has a very conducive atmosphere for the study of the Dhamma!

"Sukhā saṇkassa sāmaggī
Pleasant is unity in the Community"
(M ii.100)