what method do you use?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
jcsuperstar

what method do you use?

Post by jcsuperstar »

me
anapanasati as taught by buddhadasa

you?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Re: what method do you use?

Post by Ben »

Hi JC

Vipassana Meditation as taught by SN Goenka. The principal technique is the observation of vedana (sensation), but as one continues to practice and progress, one also begins to observe the other three foundations of sati. We also practice anapana-sati (observation of touch of the breath) as a prepatory samatha technique before switching to vipassana. As part of my daily routine I always finish a session of vipassana with metta bhavana and the sharing of merits.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i forgot to mention i finish with metta as well....

when i was at Wat Mahathat we did the mahasi method is it similar to yours?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Well originally I practiced the method taught by Michael Kewley (Pannadipa) his method focuses on the Breath and expanded from there here is his guided course on book http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=10014
nowadays I look at the satipatthana Sutta and experiment to see what it is actually saying!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
pktun

Post by pktun »

I have tried MAHASI Vipassana meditation method for 42 days under guidance of CHANMYAY Sayadaw in 1975 when I was 17.

The practical method is shown and explained by CHANMYAY Sayadaw at the following google video link.

<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=0>

The biography of MAHASI SAYADAW can be found in Wikipedia.

With best wishes,

Peter
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Ven Amathagavesi samatha-jhana and vipassana. It is an offshoot of the Mahasi sayadaw system now incorporating jhana. Subsequent developments have added seeing the five aggregates and codependant origination through it's vipassana method.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

rowyourboat wrote:Ven Amathagavesi samatha-jhana and vipassana. It is an offshoot of the Mahasi sayadaw system now incorporating jhana. Subsequent developments have added seeing the five aggregates and codependant origination through it's vipassana method.
interesting.. is there any material available from this teacher?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

bodom

Post by bodom »

The method as taught by Ajahn Chah and Buddhadasa Bhikkhu.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
thecap

Post by thecap »

Mindfulness as taught by the Buddha.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I use the techniques given by ajhan brahm in "mindfulness, bliss and beyond". I used to do mindfulness of breathing but found my mind was to jumpy due to my weak mindfulness and made little progress so atm ive gone back to basics so im just using a method of silently meditating on the here and now to strenghten my mindfulness.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings thecap,
thecap wrote:Mindfulness as taught by the Buddha.
Me too. I generally go straight to the Pali Canon for meditation instruction.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I use mostly the Mahasi Sayadaw - derived technique. I've also done some retreats and one day workshops with some other teachers (Goenka, Tiradhammo, Brahm, Mahinda). I would generally recommend sticking to a particular style for a reasonably long time (measured in years, not days...), but it's been interesting to have the opportunity for a "vacation" now and then...

My main teachers have been two monks in my local Thai Wat, who originated in Bangladesh and the US. I've been very impressed by them (whenever odd things happen to me on a retreat they've seen it before and know what to do). I've had the opportunity to get to know them and apply the Buddha's criteria for choosing a teacher (MN 95 Canki Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html) and feel absolutely no need to go off in search of some other teacher, though I do listen to talks by various other teachers from the Internet. I imagine that there are thousands of equally competent teachers around the world, since my Wat is not particularly special or famous...

Metta
Mike
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Jcsuperstar,

Yes, I can send you an instruction manual on the method practiced...well two instructions manuals actually- one for the samatha bit and the other for the vipassana. Please send me an email to dhammachat' at ' hotmail.com.

this offer is open to anyone who would like to have a copy.. :smile:

with metta

RYB
Last edited by rowyourboat on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
pererin

Post by pererin »

Hi Retro
retrofuturist wrote: I generally go straight to the Pali Canon for meditation instruction.
Would you quote me the references I need to study this, please?

Thanks
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Pererin,

For starters...

MN 10 - Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MN 118 - Anapanasati Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are others... for example ones that focus on metta (lovingkindness), overcoming hindrances, removal of distracting thoughts, wise reflections and so on...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."