A Special Kind of Suffering

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Bhikkhu Pesala

A Special Kind of Suffering

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am currently editing a book by the late Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw on the nature of nibbāna. For the benefit of those who might imagine what it would be like to stay with the Bodhisattas and Buddhas in the Pure Land, I thought I would post this passage:
In nibbāna there are no such things as mind or mental concomitants, which can be met with in the sense-sphere or form-sphere. It naturally follows that mind and matter that belong to the thirty-one planes of existence are totally absent in nibbāna. However, some would like to propose that after the parinibbāna of the Buddha and the Arahants, they acquire a special kind of mind and matter in nibbāna. Such an extraordinary way of thinking may appeal to those who cannot do away with self or ego.

With regard to this proposition a learned Sayādaw reasoned that if there is a special kind of mind and matter in nibbāna, there must also be a special kind of rebirth which gives rise to a special kind of old age, disease, and death, which in turn bring about a special kind of sorrow, lamentation, suffering, distress, and despair. When the teachings explicitly say cessation, it will be improper to go beyond it and formulate an idea of a special kind of existence. Extinction points to nothing other than Nothingness. Nibbāna, which is not involved in mind and matter, cannot be made to get involved either in this world or in other worlds.
The book is not yet ready for publication, but I will add it to my site on this page when it is ready. I have recently added a couple of new publications: A Discourse on the Sammāparibbājaniya Sutta, and A Discourse on Worldly Vicissitudes.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
DNS
Site Admin

Re: A Special Kind of Suffering

Post by DNS »

Sadhu!

Hi Bhante,

Excellent! Much merit!

:bow:
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Extinction points to nothing other than Nothingness.
I'm surprised that this so often seems to be a point of confusion. At a certain point we have to be really, truly ready to abandon everything, holding onto nothing at all. Some folks think physical death is scary. Well, when that kind of fear is present, death has nothing on nibbāna. Thanks, Bhante, for the beautiful and humorous reminder.

:anjali:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

'In Nibbana'...in?...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Bhante for all te great work that you are doing.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Thanks for the update Venerable Sir.

:anjali:
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Individual

Post by Individual »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I am currently editing a book by the late Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw on the nature of nibbāna. For the benefit of those who might imagine what it would be like to stay with the Bodhisattas and Buddhas in the Pure Land, I thought I would post this passage:
In nibbāna there are no such things as mind or mental concomitants, which can be met with in the sense-sphere or form-sphere. It naturally follows that mind and matter that belong to the thirty-one planes of existence are totally absent in nibbāna. However, some would like to propose that after the parinibbāna of the Buddha and the Arahants, they acquire a special kind of mind and matter in nibbāna. Such an extraordinary way of thinking may appeal to those who cannot do away with self or ego.

With regard to this proposition a learned Sayādaw reasoned that if there is a special kind of mind and matter in nibbāna, there must also be a special kind of rebirth which gives rise to a special kind of old age, disease, and death, which in turn bring about a special kind of sorrow, lamentation, suffering, distress, and despair. When the teachings explicitly say cessation, it will be improper to go beyond it and formulate an idea of a special kind of existence. Extinction points to nothing other than Nothingness. Nibbāna, which is not involved in mind and matter, cannot be made to get involved either in this world or in other worlds.
The book is not yet ready for publication, but I will add it to my site on this page when it is ready. I have recently added a couple of new publications: A Discourse on the Sammāparibbājaniya Sutta, and A Discourse on Worldly Vicissitudes.
It's a valid point.

"Whatever is subject to origination is also subject to cessation"

On the other hand, realization of Nibbana might also be misconstrued as the annihilation of self.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

You quoted the following...
In nibbāna there are no such things as mind or mental concomitants, which can be met with in the sense-sphere or form-sphere.
Setting aside the "In nibbāna..." which has already been raised as a concern above, how is this quotation reconciled with supramundane mind-states, such as that which are detailed in the Abhidhamma?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The web page for On the Nature of Nibbāna is uploaded now, and the PDF. There are still probably plenty of typos. You may need the Gentium font installed to read the Pali text on the web page, but the PDF should have the Pali font embedded.

The web page is rather long — I could split it into six pages, but I don't think that helps much. I prefer to read from the PDF anyway.

We talk about a meditator being in jhāna or about a person as being in error, so I think you all know what is meant when we say "In nibbāna." Elsewhere in the book, the Sayādaw talks about Nibbāna being "In this fathom long body", but it is clearly meant to be taken figuratively. If not "In nibbāna" how else would one express it?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:If not "In nibbāna" how else would one express it?
Maybe: "In the context of nibbāna." ? Or maybe that presents the same problems ...
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Jechbi wrote:
Maybe: "In the context of nibbāna." ? Or maybe that presents the same problems ...
It's just a matter of the differences between conventional truth and absolute truth, as I mentioned in another thread:

conventional truth (Sammuti Sacca)
ultimate truth (Paramattha Sacca)

Anatta is ultimate truth, when "I" talk about it, the I refers to conventional truth.

We are limited by language and sometimes it is difficult to describe the absolute un-conditioned in the conditioned form of language.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Perhaps it's not that big of a deal, semantics and all...'in' infers (to me) 'being' somewhere...which (to my understanding) is not the case concerning the nature of nibbana...it's a tough nut to crack, as the topic (so we're told) is 'beyond' everything (as we know it)...using the analogy of the extinguished flame on a candle, where does it go? (what's it 'in'?)...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Yes, well said venerable Appicchato.

As nibbana is unconditioned, how could there be any 'becoming' or 'existence', for which the term "in" could apply?

SN 12.15 ( http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/acces ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) comes to mind.

It's much easier to speak of "in" when speaking about conventional reality, rather than ultimate reality... but there's nothing much conventional about nibbana.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."