Does metta-bhavana literally impact others?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Prasadachitta

Re: Does metta-bhavana literally impact others?

Post by Prasadachitta »

HI all,

I feel it must be noted that if our well wishing does have an immediate effect others then all the negative and malicious attitudes must as well. Given this melee of effects and counter effects it seems there is not much we can hope for in terms of our influence on this mass of suffering which is society and the world. Not to say that we should not make an effort. There can be joy in hopeless effort.

Take care

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The story of Roja the Malla is also well known.

I think one needs to have strong concentration for it to have much effect. Clearly, just smiling does have some affect on others, so what if one could attain to the highest stage of metta jhāna like the Buddha?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The story of Roja the Malla is also well known.

I think one needs to have strong concentration for it to have much effect. Clearly, just smiling does have some affect on others, so what if one could attain to the highest stage of metta jhāna like the Buddha?
Quite.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

:bow:
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

...a large number of monks, ...were engaged in many kinds of bestial topics of conversation: ...talk of whether things exist or not.
Is discussing the existence or otherwise of a magical effect from a meditation practice a "bestial topic of conversation?" It ceratinly seems pointless...

(Thanks to jechbi for help with the markup syntax.)
Last edited by fivebells on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

fivebells wrote:(Not sure how to get the URL markup above to work properly. Can someone let me know, please?)
Take out the quote marks: ...a large number of monks
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Apropos to this thread, fresh from Dhamma Drops:
Bhikkhu_Samahita wrote:Friends:

The 11 Advantages of Infinite Friendliness:

When one cultivates regular meditation on Infinite Friendliness (Metta),
then these 11 advantages are produced, can be expected and observed:

1: One sleeps in comfort.
2: One wakes in comfort.
3: One dreams no evil dreams.
4: One is dear to human beings.
5: One is dear to non-human beings.
6: Deities guard and protect one.
7: Fire, poison and weapons cannot affect one.
8: One's mind is easily concentrated.
9: The expression of one's face is serene.
10: One dies unconfused and without panic.
11: If one penetrates no higher, then one is reborn in the Brahma-world.

These 11 advantages emerges and hold insofar as goodwill is maintained!
Vism I 312-314, AN V 342
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Jechbi wrote:Take out the quote marks: ...a large number of monks
Ah, thanks.
salaatti

Post by salaatti »

Bhante Vimalaramsi told a story once, where he was walking in streets of Miami and radiating metta to people around him. He said that three random people offered him ride to meditation center that time. This he said, was the result from the loving kindness that was radiating out of him. But I honestly don't know if I should believe in him. He has also said that one time he told a Malesian woman who suffered from uncurable cancer, to buy many fish every day and free them to the ocean. In this time the woman, according to the story also had given up from medication. And when the woman freed the fish every day, her mind became very happy and uplifted, and as a result, her cancer also dissapeard.

Vimaralamsi also said that skilled meditators can develope abilities like levitating and walking through walls. He says that he cannot do these things himself but he has a few students who can.

Also, I had an actual question that I already asked elsewhere, but I was guided here.
How often the person who metta is sent to, should be changed?
And also should I go through all my friends and family friends before moving on to some 'neutral' person.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Here's a post that I think addresses your question:

With regard to all that other stuff about levitating and everything, take it or leave it. The best "trick" of all is nibbana.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

gabrielbranbury wrote:
clw_uk wrote:In my opinion it only impacts others in terms of effecting your own well being which in turn effects the way you treat others and so effects their own well being, i dont think it sends out waves etc since this idea seems to fall into a kind of Idealism/solipsism
Hello Craig,

Oh heaven forbid we fall into Idealism.

While I have a great respect for discerning between the known and the unknown in order to give deference to that which is known, I think it is folly to ignore potentiality. Particularly when the recognition of that potentiality lends to being heedful.

Take Care

Gabe

Ive been trying to fiqure out what your saying here but I cant, could you explain a bit more?

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

clw_uk wrote:
gabrielbranbury wrote:
clw_uk wrote:In my opinion it only impacts others in terms of effecting your own well being which in turn effects the way you treat others and so effects their own well being, i dont think it sends out waves etc since this idea seems to fall into a kind of Idealism/solipsism
Hello Craig,

Oh heaven forbid we fall into Idealism.

While I have a great respect for discerning between the known and the unknown in order to give deference to that which is known, I think it is folly to ignore potentiality. Particularly when the recognition of that potentiality lends to being heedful.

Take Care

Gabe

Ive been trying to fiqure out what your saying here but I cant, could you explain a bit more?

metta

Hi Craig,

I think I see your point. To dwell in the idea of some kind of magical phenomena which is the result of your well wishing can be an unhelpful delusion which could get in the way of ones ability to see clearly and communicate. However there is also a way of dwelling in potentiality which does not hold to tightly to what one thinks is the limit of what is possible. This kind of openness does not need to hinder discernment. It is not really an intellectual exercise. To be open to some possibilities which may seem impossible can have a radically positive impact on ones ability to make progress in practice. I will repeat that when one sees this it does not mean that they have made an unknown into an object of delight. It remains an unknown and mysterious source of energy for awakening.

Does this make sense?

Gabe