block unwanted cell phone calls

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
genkaku

block unwanted cell phone calls

Post by genkaku »

For those in the U.S. who might find it of interest, I received this in email and followed the instructions. It's quick and easy.

Dear Friends and Family,

I have been alerted to the fact that cell phones go public this month and hence will be released to telemarketing companies. You will start to receive sales calls for which you will be charged.

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.. It takes about 20 seconds.

This is also the same number that you can register your land line on to stop most sales calls coming to that number as well.

bodom

Re: block unwanted cell phone calls

Post by bodom »

Thanks for the heads up.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
piper

Post by piper »

Thanks!
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello genkaku,

This is FALSE.

genkaku ~ pease, please check Snopes site before spreading false rumours and urban myths.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited: I meant indadvertently spreading false rumours

metta
Chris
Last edited by cooran on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

Chris wrote:Hello genkaku,

This is FALSE.

genkaku ~ pease, please check Snopes site before spreading false rumours and urban myths.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
I really seriously doubt he was trying to spread false rumours. He was trying to look out for us. Thanks Genkaku!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

You'd think it was true enough; I've been getting an influx of spam calls on my cell :alien:

Pssst...telemarketers if you're reading this... I do not want to purchase a car warrenty for my ancient Honda Civic!!!
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

My apologies all. I must have swallowed a Dumb Pill not to have checked with Snopes first. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Fede

Post by Fede »

IF we're on the subject of Mobile 'Phones, I truly and sincerely hope this does not befall anyone here, but (particularly those members who hail from the UK) this is a good idea:

if you're in an accident, and you happen to lose consciousness, it's understood that Emergency services will try to use your 'phone to contact someone you know to advise them of the accident.

In the UK, a member of the emergency services is asking everyone to do the following (and pass it on):

List a couple of your nearest and dearest under the name of 'ICE. pls contact' (In Case of Emergency)

This will duplicate your telephone numbers, but that's not a problem. At least they'll know exactly who to call.

Everyone - get the ball rolling and spread the word!

I am grateful to Placid Pool for giving me this information.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Fede wrote:IF we're on the subject of Mobile 'Phones, I truly and sincerely hope this does not befall anyone here, but (particularly those members who hail from the UK) this is a good idea:

if you're in an accident, and you happen to lose consciousness, it's understood that Emergency services will try to use your 'phone to contact someone you know to advise them of the accident.

In the UK, a member of the emergency services is asking everyone to do the following (and pass it on):

List a couple of your nearest and dearest under the name of 'ICE. pls contact' (In Case of Emergency)

This will duplicate your telephone numbers, but that's not a problem. At least they'll know exactly who to call.

Everyone - get the ball rolling and spread the word!

I am grateful to Placid Pool for giving me this information.
Thanks for this, Fede. In this United States EMTs and Paramedics will check for ICE on your phone also.

/\