Vipassana for prisoners...

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Re: Doing Time, Doing Vipassana

Postby BlackBird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:21 am

I loved this documentary, it's great to see such forward thinking officials. I long for the day that they teach Vipassana here in NZ, where our prison problem is starting to par up with the States.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:48 am

hi Jack
As far as I am aware, there is a prison program in NZ.
I've heard about the program but I don't know where the program is/was running and I haven't seen any studies on its effects.
If you're interested, contact Ross Reynolds, area teacher for NZ, at VMC Kaukapakapa:
http://www.medini.dhamma.org/
For your interest, here's a list of studies on vipassana in prisons:
http://www.vridhamma.org/Research-Index.aspx#Jails
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:45 pm

BlackBird wrote:I loved this documentary, it's great to see such forward thinking officials. I long for the day that they teach Vipassana here in NZ, where our prison problem is starting to par up with the States.

Various Buddhisst individuals, monastic and lay, do teach in various prisons. I know a few personally.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby BlackBird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi Ben, Mike

That's great news :thumbsup:
Thanks for the links :)

Metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:15 pm

Ajan Khemadhammo has been visiting prisoners for decades. He was awarded an OBE for his work in setting up the Angulimala Organisation, which now has a nationwide network of prison chaplains.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Ajan Khemadhammo has been visiting prisoners for decades. He was awarded an OBE for his work in setting up the Angulimala Organisation, which now has a nationwide network of prison chaplains.

Hi Bhante,
this network is only in England at the moment propperly, although there is a Scottish "branch" starting up soon, if not already started.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby being5 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:27 pm

I first came to Vipassana -> practice -> Bhuddism when a long-time Goenka student gave a public showing of "Doing Time, Doing Vipassana". I am very, very grateful that she did. I was drawn to it like a magnet. As soon as the final credits rolled I scooted back to my computer and applied for my first 10 day course.

Two other films have been made since then which show Vipassana (in the traditon taught by S.N.Goenka) in US prisons.
"Changing from Inside"
"Dhamma Brothers"

If you are interested in getting copies try:
http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/showproducts.cfm?FullCat=134

being5
being5

Postby nomad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:43 am

Has anyone ever seen the Dhamma Brothers movie? I was thinking about buying the DVD, but I don’t know much about it besides what I saw in the trailer and read from a couple of professional critic reviews. Some critics panned it for cheesy reenactments, but praised it for its message. Any thoughts or suggestions?

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying
nomad

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:52 am

Hi Nomad
I haven't seen it yet, though plan to do so.
There's an interview with Jenny Philips, the director, on the Buddhism Geeks website.
The accompanying book by the same name, is available from Pariyatti.com and includes copies of letters written by the inmates where they recount their experiences and the effect of the ten-day vipassana course has had on their lives.
My advice is to take any review with a pinch of salt.
Cheers

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:17 am

nomad wrote:Has anyone ever seen the Dhamma Brothers movie? I was thinking about buying the DVD, but I don’t know much about it besides what I saw in the trailer and read from a couple of professional critic reviews. Some critics panned it for cheesy reenactments, but praised it for its message. Any thoughts or suggestions?

See also this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2133
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby nomad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 am

TheDhamma wrote:
nomad wrote:Has anyone ever seen the Dhamma Brothers movie? I was thinking about buying the DVD, but I don’t know much about it besides what I saw in the trailer and read from a couple of professional critic reviews. Some critics panned it for cheesy reenactments, but praised it for its message. Any thoughts or suggestions?

See also this thread:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2133

Cool. Thanks! :)

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying
nomad

Postby Just Dave » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Wonderful!

I had thought Youtube had removed Doing Time, Doing Vipassana due to some copyright issues.

Happy to have found this thread.
Just Dave

Postby Dhammakid » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:54 pm

Dhamma Brothers is a great doc. I didn't find it cheesy at all. I actually found it to be quite sincere.

I'll definitely watch this one as soon as I get the chance and let you know what I think. Thanks for posting the vids!

Anjali,
Dhammakid
Dhammakid

Postby Rob427W » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:30 am

So, what's the word on this?

Are the copyright laws okay on this?

I don't like the idea of watching a video that's on the web illegally.

Lots of love!

:clap:
Rob427W

Postby Ben » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:00 am

Hi rob

youould be able to acquire a copy of doing time doing vipassana from pariyatti.org at moderate cost.
I don't know whether Dhamma Brothers is available on DVD yet. If you find out, please let me know!
cheers

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Rob427W » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks, Ben. :smile:

Also, Dhamma Brothers, it appears, is not yet out on video.

Metta

Rob
Rob427W

Postby Dhammakid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Dhamma Brothers is indeed out on DVD. I have a copy. You can get it from the main site.

http://www.dhammabrothers.com/

It doesn't appear to be available on Amazon.com at this time.

:anjali:
Dhammakid
Dhammakid

Postby being5 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:51 am

passing on this notice for anyone in Sydney (Australia) who wants to see Dhamma Brothers:

There will be a free screening of the film Dhamma Brothers at the Chauvelle cinema, Paddington on Thursday 19th November at 7:15pm.

This highly acclaimed film was made in a high security United States prison in Alabama where inmates take a ten day Vipassana course. It covers the process of holding a course and keeping up meditation practice. Some inmates recount their stories and experiences after taking a ten day course.

Seating is limited so it is important that you let us know if you would like to attend by e-mailing ihphoto@bigpond.net.au to secure seats for yourself, family and friends. The evening will be a good opportunity to introduce friends and family to the benefits of Vipassana meditation.

To view a trailer of the film and to read reviews visit the Dhamma Brother website http://www.dhammabrothers.com/

being5
being5

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:36 am

Thanks Being5!

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Next

Return to Theravāda for the modern world