Hindu guru claims homosexuality can be 'cured' by yoga

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
m0rl0ck

Re: Hindu guru claims homosexuality can be 'cured' by yoga

Post by m0rl0ck »

daverupa wrote:So, m0rl0ck, do you want to unpack that statement for us?
I jsut meant that sexuality generally seems to be a problem for humans and was trying to comment on that humorously. Sorry if i ruffled any feathers.
And actually im kind of enjoying the thread :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

For my part, I took it to be tongue-in-cheek.

This yogic guru is not the only revered Spiritual/Religious leader to claim that homosexuality is a medical or mental construct/affliction.

Some Christian representatives have stated much the same, and there are even qualified medical practitioners who claim to be able to 'cure' such a condition.
Of course, it's nonsense.
I think m0rl0ck was merely being ironic.

The most intelligent answer I have ever come across was this, when some 'bright spark' asked a gay man:

"So, when did you first realise you were homosexual?"
Came the response -
"When did you first realise you were heterosexual?"

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Well, it's somewhat early where I am, and in any event I tend to prefer clear communication over humor when this sort of thing is being taken seriously in various quarters.

To say any sexuality is an illness to be cured is simply an unhelpful modality for discussing the complex issues surrounding human sexuality generally, and aligning with the Dhamma specifically as laypeople in various walks of life.

I'm sorry if I prefer this sort of communication over light-hearted banter. I bring books to parties, etc., so perhaps mea culpa.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Denisa

Post by Denisa »

Aloka wrote:.

That doesn't seem to be a recent news article, its dated July 2009.

When I read The Telegraph link mentioned in the alan's post, this link appear below under Related Articles. I didn't even bother to look at the date since it's irrelevant to me. I found the guru's claim to be funny, so I posted it here as a "casual discussion amongst spiritual friends". Is there anything wrong with it?

2009 or 2075 (I don't think I'll make it), I'll find guru's claim to be funny and ignorant.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

just to put this in context, I've met more than one homosexual who claimed they could cure people of heterosexuality!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I've never even met one who wanted to.

I've heard plenty of ladies make such comments about famous heart-throbs, though..... :tongue:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Shaswata_Panja

Post by Shaswata_Panja »

sexuality is an illness..if you cannot renounce sexuality you will never progress in either yoga or Buddhism
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Shaswata_Panja wrote:sexuality is an illness..if you cannot renounce sexuality you will never progress in either yoga or Buddhism
The suttas and modern lay practitioners are evidence to the contrary.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Nevermind evidence to the contrary; sexuality-as-disease is simply inaccurate, and itself without evidence at the start. Arguing against such ridiculous & biased presumptions is fruitless; calling out such unilateral & non-nuanced declarations as ignorant and myopic requires nothing not already on display.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Shaswata_Panja

Post by Shaswata_Panja »

Buddha was totally against sex..as long as one harbours sympathetic feelings towards sex, higher realizations will be blocked off for him..there is a reason Buddha banned sex for monks and nuns..He made the correct decision..Sexing worldlings will always be addicted to sex just as a diseased person is addicted to scratching his festering wounds
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Shaswata_Panja wrote:Buddha was totally against sex..as long as one harbours sympathetic feelings towards sex, higher realizations will be blocked off for him..there is a reason Buddha banned sex for monks and nuns..He made the correct decision..Sexing worldlings will always be addicted to sex just as a diseased person is addicted to scratching his festering wounds
MN 73: Mahāvacchagotta Sutta wrote: “Apart from Master Gotama, the bhikkhus and bhikkhunīs, and the men lay followers clothed in white leading lives of celibacy, is there any one man lay follower, Master Gotama’s disciple, clothed in white enjoying sensual pleasures, who carries out his instruction, responds to his advice, has gone beyond doubt, become free from perplexity, gained intrepidity, and become independent of others in the Teacher’s Dispensation?” [3]

”There are not only one hundred ... or five hundred, but far more men lay followers, my disciples, clothed in white enjoying sensual pleasures, who carry out my instruction, respond to my advice, have gone beyond doubt, become free from perplexity, gained intrepidity, and become independent of others in the Teacher’s Dispensation.”

Note 3:
This question refers to the stream-enterer and the once returner, who may still indulge in sensual pleasures if they remain in the lay life.
AN 8.54: Byagghapajja Sutta wrote: "We are lay people enjoying sensuality; living crowded with spouses & children; using Kasi fabrics & sandalwood; wearing garlands, scents, & creams; handling gold & silver. May the Blessed One teach the Dhamma for those like us, for our happiness & well-being in this life, for our happiness & well-being in lives to come."

[The Blessed One said:] "There are these four qualities, TigerPaw, that lead to a lay person's happiness and well-being in this life. Which four? Being consummate in initiative, being consummate in vigilance, admirable friendship, and maintaining one's livelihood in tune.
There are these four qualities that lead to a lay person's happiness and well-being in lives to come. Which four? Being consummate in conviction, being consummate in virtue, being consummate in generosity, being consummate in discernment.
Shaswata_Panja

Post by Shaswata_Panja »

thanks a lot culavaaso ji..

so it seems first two stages of Enlightenment possible even while sexing