How many hours a week do you meditate?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
adosa

Re: How many hours a week do you meditate?

Post by adosa »

45 minutes or so each morning, same thing in the evening unless I get lazy, so I would say in the range of 8 to 9 hours. However my mindfulness off the cushion needs much work. But I've found if my dedication to formal sitting wanes I become heedless rather quickly.

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
alan

Post by alan »

And what is the ratio of study time to sit time?
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

alan wrote:And what is the ratio of study time to sit time?
For me about 4 to 1, I'd guess. Need some adjustment there ...
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

alan wrote:And what is the ratio of study time to sit time?
Close to zero. I ask questions when I get stuck on something. The answers are always roughly the same, though. :) This is really a very simple process.

But there was a lot more study when I started.
alan

Post by alan »

What do you think is the ideal ratio?
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

alan wrote:What do you think is the ideal ratio?
I personally think the ratio should be very, very low, because this is a practice, not a theory or religion. But I'm not theravadin. The general theravada answer might be different.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fivebells,

Out of interest, have you ever observed your mindstates whilst studying?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by studying. Can you describe what it means in this context, please?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fivebells,

All I wanted to get at is that study and bhavana are not mutually exclusive activities.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Fivebells, I define study as reading Suttas, essays or anything serious regarding Dhamma, including listening to talks. The context is obvious. It is your life.
We all know what sitting is--at least I hope so.
Anybody out there sit but not read? Read but not sit? Certainly there must be a balance, right?
So again I ask: what do you (all) think is the ideal ratio of study to sitting?
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

alan wrote:What do you think is the ideal ratio?
I think the ideal ratio will always depend on the individual. For me at this stage I'd like to get it closer to 1:1.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
alan

Post by alan »

And where does contemplation enter in as a factor of study?
alan

Post by alan »

Off to bed. I hope this little spark starts a flame of conversation. If not I'll just start a new thread, if you don't mind.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

alan wrote:And where does contemplation enter in as a factor of study?
Hmm. I think contemplation is contemplation, study is study. Do you mean contemplation of the doctrine, or contemplation of events as they arise in your day? All through the day we should be contemplating events as they arise and disband, and how they affect us (ie, was I better with or without?). As for contemplation of doctrine, I would class that with study. How do you put all the information together into a mental construct unless you contemplate everything that you are learning?

As for another question about study vs sit, and where the balance is. For me there was a time when I only studied, and did not sit. Or when I tried I had no resolve and would abandon it. I have never been a 'just sit' kind of guy, and so now I study some but sit more. My study is for direction on how to make the best use of my time in meditation, and for inspiration (I've been reading more biographies or thai monks).

It is common for me to meditate for 1 hour, some days getting up to 2 and 3 (from 7hr/wk to 12hr/wk). For those over an hour I usually go from sit to lions-position back to sit just to break it into several smaller 'sittings'. If there is stiffness in my legs I will walk. Once I hit on absorption it is all good and there is very little resistance to going in and out for long periods. Usually good sense prevails and I go to bed (since I don't start until 11pm at the earliest I am in bed by 2 am)
GrahamR

How many hours a week do you meditate?

Post by GrahamR »

Hello

I have a young family, so if the baby wakes me up at night I do half an hour or so.
I try to get to work a bit before everyone else and do 10 minutes then, and again 10 minutes at lunch time.
I used to get up early in the morning and do half an hour then, but with the baby it's just too much :(
With metta :bow:
Graham