Looking for online resources for a friend

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Looking for online resources for a friend

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've got a good friend (not a kalyanamitta, the more standard variety!) who may be interested in reading, or listening to some good Dhamma that might lift her spirits somewhat. She's not a Buddhist, but isn't averse to it.

She's a house-bound mother of two boys (8yo & 3yo), shy, not particularly confident, depressed, mildly anxious, inclined to smoke pot (though keen to be strong enough to give it up), yet is surprisingly intelligent and hidden beneath all that, has a very warm heart.

My first thoughts were something by Ven K Sri Dhammananda, but I wanted to open it up to any suggestions from Dhamma Wheel members who might have read something before which they think might be useful to such a person.

Thank you.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Re: Looking for online resources for a friend

Post by zavk »

Hi Retro

Perhaps the talks/books of lay-oriented teachers might be more suitable? I'm thinking of the folks at IMS: http://www.dharma.org/ims/teachers.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their teachings tend to be 'gentler' and more applicable to everyday life. Their talks are also available at Audio Dharma.
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ed,

Yes, it's something soft and warm I'm after. Something targeted at those with low self-esteem who would benefit from "awakening to the sacred" to steal a term off Lama Surya Das.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

A Path With Heart by Jack Kornfield comes to mind. He has such a gentle, easy way of bumping people into awareness.

http://www.amazon.com/Path-Heart-Throug ... 0553372114

...and he's great for beginners because he talks in terms of experience rather than abstracts..
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Another good author might be Mark Epstein, M.D. I have read one of his books and it was pretty good and in plain English.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=s ... in&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hey Retro

Years ago, I read a book by Tara Brach (another IMS teacher) entitled Radical Acceptance. She is, like Kornfield, a trained psychologist. From what I can remember, her book is written in the style of the self-help genre. She shares her experience as both a woman and a single mom, addressing issues related to self-esteem and the like. Her gentler, feminine voice might appeal to your friend. I'm sure she has selected writings online.
With metta,
zavk
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

pink_trike wrote:A Path With Heart by Jack Kornfield comes to mind. He has such a gentle, easy way of bumping people into awareness.

http://www.amazon.com/Path-Heart-Throug ... 0553372114

...and he's great for beginners because he talks in terms of experience rather than abstracts..
Absolutely. A great choice.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Raga Mala

Post by Raga Mala »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Ed,

Yes, it's something soft and warm I'm after. Something targeted at those with low self-esteem who would benefit from "awakening to the sacred" to steal a term off Lama Surya Das.

Metta,
"Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung" by Ajahn Brahm is pretty tender stuff, though some of it is comical, it's mostly pretty warm. It's brought me close to tears before. It's what springs to mind.

Any of his Dhamma talks online would also probably be beneficial, but this one in particular seems a propos to your friend's situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H94Dz4Iq2d4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It is easier to shout 'STOP!' than to do it." -Treebeard