Looking for online resources for a friend

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Looking for online resources for a friend

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Greetings,

I've got a good friend (not a kalyanamitta, the more standard variety!) who may be interested in reading, or listening to some good Dhamma that might lift her spirits somewhat. She's not a Buddhist, but isn't averse to it.

She's a house-bound mother of two boys (8yo & 3yo), shy, not particularly confident, depressed, mildly anxious, inclined to smoke pot (though keen to be strong enough to give it up), yet is surprisingly intelligent and hidden beneath all that, has a very warm heart.

My first thoughts were something by Ven K Sri Dhammananda, but I wanted to open it up to any suggestions from Dhamma Wheel members who might have read something before which they think might be useful to such a person.

Thank you.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Looking for online resources for a friend

Postby zavk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi Retro

Perhaps the talks/books of lay-oriented teachers might be more suitable? I'm thinking of the folks at IMS: http://www.dharma.org/ims/teachers.php

Their teachings tend to be 'gentler' and more applicable to everyday life. Their talks are also available at Audio Dharma.
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Greetings Ed,

Yes, it's something soft and warm I'm after. Something targeted at those with low self-esteem who would benefit from "awakening to the sacred" to steal a term off Lama Surya Das.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby pink_trike » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:02 am

A Path With Heart by Jack Kornfield comes to mind. He has such a gentle, easy way of bumping people into awareness.

http://www.amazon.com/Path-Heart-Through-Promises-Spiritual/dp/0553372114

...and he's great for beginners because he talks in terms of experience rather than abstracts..
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:14 am

Another good author might be Mark Epstein, M.D. I have read one of his books and it was pretty good and in plain English.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=s ... in&x=0&y=0
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby zavk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:42 am

Hey Retro

Years ago, I read a book by Tara Brach (another IMS teacher) entitled Radical Acceptance. She is, like Kornfield, a trained psychologist. From what I can remember, her book is written in the style of the self-help genre. She shares her experience as both a woman and a single mom, addressing issues related to self-esteem and the like. Her gentler, feminine voice might appeal to your friend. I'm sure she has selected writings online.
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:04 am

pink_trike wrote:A Path With Heart by Jack Kornfield comes to mind. He has such a gentle, easy way of bumping people into awareness.

http://www.amazon.com/Path-Heart-Through-Promises-Spiritual/dp/0553372114

...and he's great for beginners because he talks in terms of experience rather than abstracts..

Absolutely. A great choice.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Raga Mala » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:03 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Ed,

Yes, it's something soft and warm I'm after. Something targeted at those with low self-esteem who would benefit from "awakening to the sacred" to steal a term off Lama Surya Das.

Metta,

"Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung" by Ajahn Brahm is pretty tender stuff, though some of it is comical, it's mostly pretty warm. It's brought me close to tears before. It's what springs to mind.

Any of his Dhamma talks online would also probably be beneficial, but this one in particular seems a propos to your friend's situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H94Dz4Iq2d4
"It is easier to shout 'STOP!' than to do it." -Treebeard
Raga Mala

Return to Theravāda for the modern world