book or sutta club??

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

book or sutta club??

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:44 pm

would you guys be interested in doing one? we could read a book or maybe work on suttas together?

i'm not sure how it would work.

its just an idea... but i could be fun and helpful...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Re: book or sutta club??

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:55 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:would you guys be interested in doing one? we could read a book or maybe work on suttas together?

i'm not sure how it would work.

its just an idea... but i could be fun and helpful...

Im down.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:08 pm

you know what we could do is like a sutta week or two weeks, and since everyone here is obviously on the internet, that means we all have access to A2I at least.

we could ask Dhammanando to lead it. maybe he knows some sutta learning scheme or what not so we'd have an order to do them in. also he could help with pali terms.

also we could come up with some blank questions for each sutta such as "how does this discourse relate to meditation practice?" or "how does this discourse offer us guidence in our modern lives?" or whatever.. i dont know i've never done something like this before...

but i think a study group like this would be something different from other web boards.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:11 pm

The Path to Freedom
A Self-guided Tour of the Buddha's Teachings

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/index.html

Maybe we could go through something like this for starters? Or maybe if enough people own In the Buddhas Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi we could do that? Any and all ideas welcome. The possibilities are endless lol.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Will » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:17 pm

One is already going on here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40&p=153#p153
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Id be up for that, really gd idea :twothumbsup:
“Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.” Ovid
clw_uk

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:12 pm

I'm in!

Maybe a new section on the General board for different threads
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi all
Another suggestion would be Bhikkhu Bodhi's lecture series which is available at the Bodhi Monastery site. The lectures are available as free downloads (mp3) and most of the suttas are in 'In the Buddha's Words' and all are in Bodhi's translation of the Majjhima Nikaya.
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 pm

it can be our own little dhamma discussion group.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:58 pm

I think it would be good to study the suttas and also study different teachers interpretations of those suttas.

When should we start this up?
“Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.” Ovid
clw_uk

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:05 pm

Greetings,

If there's anything I can do from an admin perspective to help facilitate this, please let me know.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi Retro I think a section for threads on Books may help with that one but not for the Suttas as it already has one sort of!

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

If there's anything I can do from an admin perspective to help facilitate this, please let me know.

Metta,
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 pm

actually just had a look at the board how about in the clasical section having a sutta discussion link and in the modern having a book discussion link? as I think the other sections are more general discussion related to a wider ranging field than book reviews, or Sutta discussions
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Greetings Manapa, all,

If you have a look through the General and Classical folders, you'll see quite a few of the topics are already focused around a single sutta or a single text.

What would need to be worked out then, is how is this proposition different to that which exists already throughout the forum? I get the impression that it would need to have an established "Program of Study" in the form of schedule or timetable and that topics should be closed once we move onto the next topic, in order to keep the group focused on the current topic.

Therefore it seems like a "Study Group" forum would be required, with a couple of pinned threads... one with the schedule and the guidelines for the study group, and another where people can suggest texts for study.

The Study Group would also require a 'leader' to determine the study program and kick off discussions.

Just some thoughts to help get you started. Once you've worked out an approprach, we can build you an appropriately structured electro-vihara to match. :reading:

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:34 pm

OK my idea sucks in comparison Retro but I have a couple of links to study of MN and another more general study course sylabus if those would be useful, but maybe Dhammanando knows of a more all encompassing syllabus or the use of in the buddhas words as a guide?

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa, all,

If you have a look through the General and Classical folders, you'll see quite a few of the topics are already focused around a single sutta or a single text.

What would need to be worked out then, is how is this proposition different to that which exists already throughout the forum? I get the impression that it would need to have an established "Program of Study" in the form of schedule or timetable and that topics should be closed once we move onto the next topic, in order to keep the group focused on the current topic.

Therefore it seems like a "Study Group" forum would be required, with a couple of pinned threads... one with the schedule and the guidelines for the study group, and another where people can suggest texts for study.

The Study Group would also require a 'leader' to determine the study program and kick off discussions.

Just some thoughts to help get you started. Once you've worked out an approprach, we can build you an appropriately structured electro-vihara to match. :reading:

Metta,
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Re: Dhamma study club

Postby Will » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:43 pm

A sutta or other Dhamma text focus is fine. But I would prefer a graded approach from basic to advanced, using either a series of suttas or topics or a book recommended by Bhante Dhammanando or any other Bhikkhu.
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Re: Dhamma study club

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:45 pm

Greetings Will,
Will wrote:A sutta or other Dhamma text focus is fine. But I would prefer a graded approach from basic to advanced, using either a series of suttas or topics or a book recommended by Bhante Dhammanando or any other Bhikkhu.

There's no reason why theoretically, we couldn't have a separate Basic Class and Advanced Class. I'd just have to work out how to structure it.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:21 am

Thanks Retro
That sounds like a good idea. Some thought should go into where to place the 'electro-vihara'. My personal preference is the Classical sub-forum but many members may find the stricter guidelines of the Classical sub-forum may constrain questions or interpretations they have already formed about certain texts.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:23 am

retro, your ideas are great. kinda exactly what i was looking for.
i dont know if we need 2 groups though.. that would be a lot to ask of who ever is leading it. but if you think its a good idea, okay.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 am

Ben wrote:Thanks Retro
That sounds like a good idea. Some thought should go into where to place the 'electro-vihara'. My personal preference is the Classical sub-forum but many members may find the stricter guidelines of the Classical sub-forum may constrain questions or interpretations they have already formed about certain texts.
Kind regards

Ben

yeah i dont know if thats the best place for it. as i thought it would be a good idea to ask how these teachings are relevent to our modern lives... but i dont think making it wholely modern is the right course either.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Next

Return to General Theravāda discussion