Global disbelief over 'blackface' skit on Australian TV

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Re: Global disbelief over 'blackface' skit on Australian TV

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

It may be that there IS unconscious racism in the 'skit' on Hey Hey. Many in Australia are racist but don't think they are - as are many people in each and every country in the world. Often the racism isn't 'colour' based - but simply based on identifying someone who is 'not one of our own' - racism, nevertheless.

Racism in Australia facts
http://www.antar.org.au/node/221" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I work in any area with an every growing list of different ethnic groups/nationalities, over 170 to date - many are refugees. I see people every week who have been traumatised by horrific race-based experiences in many countries on their long, long journey to safety in Australia.
http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/LCC/logan/n ... 090604.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It maybe that there is an overreaction - but the public debate over 'is it or isn't it' a racist skit will certainly raise awareness and bring about changes (hopefully for the better) in the future.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Howdy Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:As to your earlier examples of Aborigines in film and entertainment ...
I don't think I gave such examples. Maybe it was someone else's post?
retrofuturist wrote:
The frame of reference in this case is the global stage.
Maybe, though this show was never intended to be broadcast on the global stage, hence a more global frame of reference may not have been front of mind for the producers, particularly since the same presentation had been made 20 years ago without controversy.
You're probably right, but in this day and age, with youtube, etc., every entertainment professional must be cognizant that every broadcast is in the context of a potentially global audience. That's the new reality.
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jechbi,
Jechbi wrote:Howdy Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:As to your earlier examples of Aborigines in film and entertainment ...
I don't think I gave such examples. Maybe it was someone else's post?
Right you are, it was Christopher:::... sorry about that.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

retrofuturist wrote:
Right you are, it was Christopher:::... sorry about that.
No, no. Stop pointing fingers, it wasn't me. The butler did it...

:spy:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Perry

Post by Perry »

This very much reminds me of the "Sachsgate" incident that hit Britain a year or so ago. A silly mistake by two British stars on a radio show (Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross) being exaggerated and strung out by an "outraged" Middle England, the majority of whom didn't even hear what happened.

There's still some repercussions over it now, and I hope the same thing doesn't happen in Australia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Br ... _calls_row if you're interested.