Upasakajanalankara

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
bodom

Upasakajanalankara

Post by bodom »

I was wondering if anyone has read Upasakajanalankara : a critical edition and study by H. Saddhatissa. The Upasakajanalankara is a medieval pali manual based on the Buddhas teachings for the laity.

http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/prod ... sku=131874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mikenz66

Re: Upasakajanalankara

Post by mikenz66 »

No. Looks like I'd need to learn Pali first... :reading:

Metta
Mike
bodom

Post by bodom »

mikenz66 wrote:No. Looks like I'd need to learn Pali first... :reading:

Metta
Mike
Where does it say that this book is in pali?

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

It's in the Pali section of the PTS site, and here is a random library catalog entry:
Upasakajanalankara : a critical edition and study / by H. Saddhatissa
Description London : Published for the Pali Text Society by Luzac & Co., 1965.
x, 372 p. ; 23 cm.
Notes
Pali text romanized, English introduction and notes.
At head of title: Pali Text Society.
"According to the colophon, the author of this work was one Ananda of Ceylon" -- Introd.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't know, but I suspect that Venerable Saddhātissa's "Buddhist Ethics" was based to some extent at least on the Upasakajanalankara. I say that because if he was editing and researching the Pali text it would be a natural progression to translate it or write a exegesis.

You can read more about it here. A translation might be of interest if anyone wants a project. :)

I couldnt find the book in the CSCD4 Pitaka — not even amoung the Other works.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
bodom

Post by bodom »

That is really dissapointing that this is not a word for word translation as i thought it was. Someone really should translate this important text for the laity.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

I am strongly considering buying this text from pariyatti and doing my own translation. Does anyone know any good pali to english resources either book form or online? I have never done any translating and If anyone would like to help or offer suggestions please let me know.

- BB
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

bodom wrote:I am strongly considering buying this text from pariyatti and doing my own translation. Does anyone know any good pali to english resources either book form or online? I have never done any translating and If anyone would like to help or offer suggestions please let me know.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

much appreciated.

- BB
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Pāli text is available for references here.

Has anyone translated it yet?
pulga

Post by pulga »

The Pali Text Society has recently published a translation of this work.

The Ornament of Lay Followers: Ananda's Upasakajanalankara, tr. Giulio Agostini

10-ISBN 086 013 506 3 / 13-ISBN 978 086 013 506 7
List Price £ 20.00
Confronted with warfare and the urgency of spreading Buddhist teachings, in the 12th century the Sinhalese monk Ananda, himself a refugee in South India, composed a work addressing lay persons. What beliefs and practices define a lay Buddhist, and how do they inform her or his daily life to the point of shaping the relationship between husband and wife or employers and employees? And what beliefs and practices are incompatible with Buddhism? The result, the most detailed treatise on lay followers (upsaka) handed down by the tradition, is here translated into English in its entirety for the first time. Ananda marshals an impressive number of otherwise scattered canonical and post-canonical passages, encompassing in nine chapters many aspects of Buddhism, including the philosophically important doctrine of "no-self", often considered the domain of learned monks because of its subtlety and the unattached outlook it requires on one's property, life and person.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
bodom

Post by bodom »

That is excellent thank you for sharing!

:namaste:

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Has anyone heard any updates on this release? I have not been able to find anything online.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

bodom wrote:Has anyone heard any updates on this release? I have not been able to find anything online.

Now available from Pariyatti.com

http://store.pariyatti.org/Ornament-of- ... _4818.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..