Another Kiwi says hi!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
James the Giant

Another Kiwi says hi!

Post by James the Giant »

Hi, I'm James, I'm pretty tall. Not a giant, but hey, a username has to be catchy.
I am here fleeing the Great E-sangha Crash of '09.
I hope they'll be up and running again soon, but it had the benefit of encouraging me to search for other forums, and thus I am here. I have met some of you on e-sangha already. I'm Tall Jamie over there.

Single white male, 32.
Job: Wildlife guide.
Education: BA, majoring in Analytic Philosophy.

The son of a Presbyterian Minister, I approached Buddhism from a technique perspective. I did a Vipassana course with Goenka and found the method really useful. I wasn't interested in Buddhism at all, just meditation for stress-relief.
But then reading more about meditation, I eventually picked up some Buddhist books and to my Total! Surprise! found them completely logical.
I've had a harder time coming to terms with some of the other Buddhist traditions I have sampled, so returning to a Theravadan environment feels like a breath of fresh, clean air. Wonderful!
Theravada is where I have felt most at home. So sensible, so logical.

I've now done four or five retreats in Vipassana and Insight traditions, I've got a daily 1 ½ hour meditation practise, and I'm just beginning to get into reading actual suttas rather than just other people's interpretations of them.

Recently I've moved to an organic-farm-commune-park place, where I live by myself in a home-made shack (ooh, shades of the Dharma Bums, I only just realised that just then) with no electricity or running water, and a composting toilet.
I work only 30 hours a week, (and not at all in winter) so I have lots of time for meditation and study and practising mindful living.

Next winter I plan to travel to Burma (or is it Myanmar these days? Which is the most democratic name?) to do some long meditation courses. I'll also spend a month or two serving and sitting at my local Vipassana centre here in NZ.

So, Hi! I look forward to reading and learning.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Ben

Re: Another Kiwi says hi!

Post by Ben »

Hi James
Another Goenka student here - since 1985, actually!
You've got a great centre at Kaukapakapa, I was there several years ago on a long course.
Looking forward to your contributions.
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi James,

Welcome. Now you're here, perhaps we can challenge the Aussies to a friendly game of cricket... :juggling:

Meta
Mike
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi James.

Pretty rare to meet another (tall) Dhamma practitioner from Dunedin! There's a lot of Buddhist-tumbleweed blowing around down here.

I'm in touch with a doctor down here who is planning to ressurrect a meditation group in the city, and there's also a small Sri Lankan community here too. But nobody seems to be terribly active - Except for the Dhammakaya, which I'd rather not get acquanted with :lol:

The Sri Lankan community is planning a 10 day retreat at Waioru scout camp with the Venerable Dhammajiva Thero (head meditation teacher at Nissarana Vanaya) but not only is it full up (as far as residential positions go) but they'll also be conducting it in Sinhala - So there goes that idea :rofl:
Mike wrote: Welcome. Now you're here, perhaps we can challenge the Aussies to a friendly game of cricket..
Strictly over-arm bowling this time :tongue:

Metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Jack,
BlackBird wrote:
Mike wrote: Welcome. Now you're here, perhaps we can challenge the Aussies to a friendly game of cricket..
Strictly over-arm bowling this time :tongue:
You look a little young to be holding such a grudge... :thinking:

Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Didn't this happen wa--aa--y back in 1981??? C'mon, you blokes, let it go! :tongue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_b ... nt_of_1981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

For those who don't understand cricket, the situation was the baseball equivalent of NZ being at the bottom of the ninth two runs down with bases loaded. They needed to hit the ball out of the field to win. By rolling the ball along the ground (which was legal at the time) the Australian bowler made it impossible.

28 years later, some of us have got over it... :hug:

Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

And .... Welcome James!

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

BlackBird wrote: I'm in touch with a doctor down here who is planning to resurrect a meditation group in the city
Is that Neeraj Gupta, from the Department of Anatomy? I tried emailing him but no reply. I should call him next week and offer my services again. Are you here at uni?

The other active Buddhist groups I know of in Dunedin are Soka Gakkai International (massively, heavily Mahayana), and the Diamond Sangha Zen Group, http://www.zendo.org.nz/pages/regularsits.html who me and another Vipassana guy used to sit with on Wednesdays in North East Valley. They're nice, almost all psychologists and counsellors.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help at a trans-Tasman cricket match. The last time I played was about age 11, and I got bowled in two balls. :tongue:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

James the Giant wrote:
BlackBird wrote: I'm in touch with a doctor down here who is planning to resurrect a meditation group in the city
Is that Neeraj Gupta, from the Department of Anatomy? I tried emailing him but no reply. I should call him next week and offer my services again.
Nah, it's another man, came down from Parmy North a few years ago, where they have a group with affiliation to the Thai Forest tradition.
James the Giant wrote: Are you here at uni?
Yeah got exams this week, but I don't think i'll be returning next year.
James the Giant wrote: The other active Buddhist groups I know of in Dunedin are Soka Gakkai International (massively, heavily Mahayana), and the Diamond Sangha Zen Group, http://www.zendo.org.nz/pages/regularsits.html who me and another Vipassana guy used to sit with on Wednesdays in North East Valley. They're nice, almost all psychologists and counsellors.
Sounds great!
mikenz66 wrote: You look a little young to be holding such a grudge... :thinking:
No grudges here Mr. Mike, it was a light-hearted joke (from my POV) :anjali: :group:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Chris wrote:Didn't this happen wa--aa--y back in 1981??? C'mon, you blokes, let it go! :tongue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_b ... nt_of_1981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers,
Chris

1981? This is cricket, mate. The issue is hardly warmed up yet. :jumping:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings James,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."