Vipassana questions

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: Vipassana questions

Postby Sanghamitta » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:27 am

I see that you live in West Virginia Adam. There is a well known centre for Vipassana retreats near Winchester. Its called the Bhavana Society.

Christopher::: I see that there is a Japanese Vipassana Association which offers retreats in two centres. Do you know anything of these ?
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby christopher::: » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Sanghamitta wrote:
Christopher::: I see that there is a Japanese Vipassana Association which offers retreats in two centres. Do you know anything of these ?

There are a few around the country (japan vipassana), none that i am aware of down here near my city. The past few months Joseph Goldstein's dhamma talks have been extremely helpful. A real teacher or instructional situation is ideal of course, but audio dhamma talks are also very good, way better then just books, i'm finding...

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby adamposey » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:47 pm

It doesn't appear I'll have access to a teacher for several months.
adamposey

Postby adamposey » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:41 pm

christopher::: wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:

There are a few around the country (japan vipassana), none that i am aware of down here near my city. The past few months Joseph Goldstein's dhamma talks have been extremely helpful. A real teacher or instructional situation is ideal of course, but audio dhamma talks are also very good, way better then just books, i'm finding...

:smile:

Could you provide links to these talks? I'd like to have access to them. :)
adamposey

Postby christopher::: » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:04 pm

adamposey wrote:
Could you provide links to these talks? I'd like to have access to them. :)

You can check out some of Goldstein's talks recommended in this discussion, and also search dharma seed. They have talks available from a lot of teachers....

Joseph Goldstein: Achieved is the End of Craving

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda