Upasakajanalankara

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Dhammanando

Re: Upasakajanalankara

Post by Dhammanando »

Ven. Pesala's link to the Pali text is now dead. Here's a new one:

link
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ben wrote:
bodom wrote:Has anyone heard any updates on this release? I have not been able to find anything online.

Now available from Pariyatti.com
Thanks Ben. I ordered my copy yesterday morning. On checking the website right now it says they are out of stock already. I must have got one of the last copies! I will post a review once I receive it.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Bodom,
I actually ordered it too. No sooner did I post a link to the pariyatti page, a friend from Indonesia piped in and replied with "Öut of Stock"!
It must be my lucky day. However, I am expecting that I wont get delivery from the US until sometime during the middle of the next ice age.
kind regards,

Ben
bodom wrote:
Ben wrote:
bodom wrote:Has anyone heard any updates on this release? I have not been able to find anything online.

Now available from Pariyatti.com
Thanks Ben. I ordered my copy yesterday morning. On checking the website right now it says they are out of stock already. I must have got one of the last copies! I will post a review once I receive it.

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ben wrote:Hi Bodom,
I actually ordered it too. No sooner did I post a link to the pariyatti page, a friend from Indonesia piped in and replied with "Öut of Stock"!
It must be my lucky day. However, I am expecting that I wont get delivery from the US until sometime during the middle of the next ice age.
kind regards,
Hey Ben

I'm super excited about this book. I have been waiting for someone to translate it for awhile now. I'm not too familiar with Agostini's work but having a look at some articles and translations that he's done he seems to be the real deal and very thorough in his sources. Some of his papers can be found here:

http://independent.academia.edu/GiulioAgostini" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

After reading your link (thank you!) bodom, I've asked to put me on the waiting list for the next exemplars.
I'm excited to read it.
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I've just added my name to the list as well.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

The book arrived this week. I'm eager to check it out.
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

So what opinions do people have about this translation?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Giulio Agostini, the translator of the Upāsakajanālaṅkara, has a paper of related interest and a translation of a 12th century Sarvāstivādin guide for upāsakas.

Partial Upāsakas
Little scholarly interest has been paid to an ancient Buddhist controversy: how many precepts, if any, must upāsakas (lay brothers) take? The deepest research on this topic remains that of Louis de La Vallée Poussin, Étienne Lamotte, and Hirakawa Akira. They presented many sources, but neglected others that are very important. In particular, they did not consider all available versions of the Mahānāmasūtra, the locus classicus for the controversy, they did not look for evidence in post-canonical Theravāda sources, they did not try to provide a model for the chronological development of the controversy, and they did not pose the question why the issue was important at all. My purpose here is to fill these gaps, as far as possible, on the basis of old and new evidence.

Sunayaśrī’s Upāsakasaṁvarāṣṭaka and Upāsakasaṁvarāṣṭakavivaraṇa – An Edition and Translation.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Jason

Post by Jason »

So what is everyone's experience with this book? Is it something worth purchasing, or is it comparable to contemporary guides that already exist in English?
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Jason

Post by Jason »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:47 am Giulio Agostini, the translator of the Upāsakajanālaṅkara, has a paper of related interest and a translation of a 12th century Sarvāstivādin guide for upāsakas.

Partial Upāsakas
Little scholarly interest has been paid to an ancient Buddhist controversy: how many precepts, if any, must upāsakas (lay brothers) take? The deepest research on this topic remains that of Louis de La Vallée Poussin, Étienne Lamotte, and Hirakawa Akira. They presented many sources, but neglected others that are very important. In particular, they did not consider all available versions of the Mahānāmasūtra, the locus classicus for the controversy, they did not look for evidence in post-canonical Theravāda sources, they did not try to provide a model for the chronological development of the controversy, and they did not pose the question why the issue was important at all. My purpose here is to fill these gaps, as far as possible, on the basis of old and new evidence.

Sunayaśrī’s Upāsakasaṁvarāṣṭaka and Upāsakasaṁvarāṣṭakavivaraṇa – An Edition and Translation.
Those are interesting. Thank you.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

Thanks, Bhante.