My Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

My Meditation

Post by Collective »

(I think this belongs here)

Just recently, I've noticed that my meditations have been getting, worse (for want of a better expression).

I used to sit for periods of time with little to know monkey thought activity. Only recently it's been like; 'ok meditaion ready, steady...and begin chattering monkey chattering session now!'.

I don't think it is a case of 'well done - you are getting to realise how your mind works', it's just a case of mind chatter out of control all of a sudden.

Also, as my back pain flared up I resorted to sitting on a chair. Ironically enough I find it harder to get into the deep meditation sessions I had when on the cushion. If I think about it, it is when I'm on the chair (as opposed to cushion) when my mind seems to expereince much more inane chatter. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Any thoughts on the above two?

Peace and thanks
Ben

Re: My Meditation

Post by Ben »

Hi Collective
Its a bit difficult to be specific as you haven't mentioned what it is that you actually do while in meditation. That is - technique.
What I can tell you is that 'monkey mind' is very common and is nothing to be worried about. My suggestion is to just maintain awareness of the meditation object and don't take any notice of the chatter.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Collective,

Don't under-estimate the chair!

As for the monkey-mind try doing something to help tie you to your meditation subject until the monkey-mind subsides a little... try counting the breaths, marking them 'in' and 'out', or using a 'buddho' mantra or something.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Collective

Post by Collective »

You are both correct.

I was also directed to this page which I'd say is immesnely good advice for new meditators:

Link: Meditation

Good one!
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Collective wrote:You are both correct.

I was also directed to this page which I'd say is immesnely good advice for new meditators:

Link: Meditation

Good one!

I find a chair works really well with Bodhipaksa's guided meditations. Check out wildmind.com some of the meditations are free there. Mind you, the first time round will mostly be spent deciding whether or not to trust the guy, but after that it's all good.
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Collective,

With regards to "mind chatter", I'd suggest looking for a cause outside your meditation. If work has me riled, I have a tough time getting still. When this happens, I remember my bicycle racing days when a buddy of mine used to enjoy difficult challenging headwind training rides because of the extra "oomph" they gave his racing. When I'm challenged by work or home or whatever, I just think of training in a strong headwind.

As for chair or cushion, my legs/knees are not sufficiently compliant for a cushion and I agree that a chair is challenging in its own ways. I have found that a seiza bench is both very comfortable for me and extremely conducive to the work at hand.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
Collective

Post by Collective »

Seiza bench? Is that the wooden stool where you tuck your legs underneath?

Where would I get one in the UK?

Sounds ideal
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi
A seiza bench can be gotten from a few places and can be made qite easily, I made my own but bought one that dismantles for travelling!
here a re a couple of links
http://www.meditationsupplies.co.uk/sho ... hop_param=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zenbench.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the one I recently bought

the one I made is a toadstool version which are very hard to find, and can e collapsible if you put the effort into finding them, but they arent as common as the stndard two leg version, and canbe quite hard to find.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill