uh......your logo, its Vajrayana

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

uh......your logo, its Vajrayana

Postby pilgrim » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:10 pm

This may not be important but the Dhamma wheel logo you are using is a distinctly Vajrayana one. See those 3 legs in the hub? That depicts the 3 turnings of the Dharma. You'll find cakras with this hub in Tibetan Buddhism but not in Theravada.
pilgrim

Re: uh......your logo, its Vajrayana

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:25 pm

well just because this is a theravadan forum doesn't mean we exclude other forms of budhism, plus it also means that each DhammaWheel sister site can have the same look i.e. we are all Buddhist.

but TheDhamma may have other reason for picking this particular wheel, although it does make me feel at home considerng it is similare to the symbol of my home.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Interesting, I never noticed that or knew there was a difference between traditions. To me it still just looks like a Dhamma Wheel.

Over at Wikipedia, it is a little vague, but they say "The hub is for discipline, which is the essential core of meditation practice."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharmacakra

But then below that they show a Tibetan Gankil which looks like the hub.

We chose that wheel because it looks nice and is a better looking design than most of the other images available that are not copyrighted.

We could see the three symbols as Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha. Problem solved. :tongue:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 pm

It's all good.

:group:
"And so, because this Teaching is so different from what Westerners are accustomed to, they will try to adapt the Teaching to their own framework. What they need to learn to do is not to adapt the Teaching to their own point of view but to adapt their own point of view to the Teaching. This is called saddhá, or faith, and it means giving oneself to the Teaching even if the Teaching is contrary to one’s own preconceived notions of the way things are."- Ven Bodhesako

Nanavira Thera's teachings - An existential approach to the Dhamma | Ven. Bodhesako's essay on anicca
BlackBird

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:48 pm

TheDhamma wrote:
We could see the three symbols as Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha. Problem solved. :tongue:

or Anicca, Anatta & Dukkha?

or he three aspects of the 8FP
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Manapa wrote:or Anicca, Anatta & Dukkha?

or the three aspects of the 8FP

:thumbsup:

I like.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 am

It looks like a Captain's Wheel to me. How would a wheel like that actually roll along the ground with the spokes sticking out?
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby pilgrim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:40 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It looks like a Captain's Wheel to me. How would a wheel like that actually roll along the ground with the spokes sticking out?

I guess to a modern "western" Buddhist, a Vajrayana wheel is no different from another. But over in the east, these symbols are recognised for what they are. Mind you, I'm not saying it should be changed or anything like that, just pointing out the differences.

The wheel has of course evolved quite a bit. I think the earliest wheels have several spokes ( more than eight) which do not extend beyond the rim. The cakras on King Asoka's columns which was incorporated into the national flag of india had 24. The decorative extensions beyond the rim and 8 spokes came about later and was adopted by all schools. The vajrayana then added the three turnings in the hub and often added further decorative embellishments to it.

For the early wheel, see http://www.exoticindiaart.com/artimages ... eel_sm.jpg
pilgrim

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:55 am

Greetings,

Does anyone know if the 'wheel-treasure' was visually depicted in any of the suttas?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:59 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Does anyone know if the 'wheel-treasure' was visually depicted in any of the suttas?

Metta,

I am not sure what you mean. Verbally described?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:04 am

Greetings Tilt,

I mean do they describe what it looks like. Apologies if my choice of words was a little misleading.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 am

Not that I have ever seen/read.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby pilgrim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:19 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Tilt,

I mean do they describe what it looks like. Apologies if my choice of words was a little misleading.

Metta,

AFAIK, the suttas did not suggest any symbol for the Sasana. After the Buddha's passing, artwork which wanted to depict the Buddha used symbols such as the Bodhi tree, a footprint, stupa or an umbrella. The wheel was also initially used to represent the Buddha. Somewhere the line, perhaps after they had begun to use proper Buddha images, the wheel came to represent the Sasana. There's an informative article here http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/buddhaimage
pilgrim

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:39 am

How about a water wheel? the spokes could be buckets? :)
I think that the path being refered to as the stream would lend to this but a captain wheel is also an option, although I don't know if there were such boats/ships in Inia at the time with a wheel?
but cart wheel (not the human variety :) ) is also a good option as it is a path
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Rui Sousa » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:45 am

I like it.
With Metta
Rui Sousa

Return to Suggestion box