Posts in a thread numbered and linkable

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
pt1

Posts in a thread numbered and linkable

Post by pt1 »

Hi, apologies if this was already discussed, or for some reason it doesn't work on my computer:

1. It would be very useful if posts in a thread were individually numbered - in a really long thread that has a lot pages, it'd be very useful for precision sake if I could refer to a previous post by number (like "please check out what was said in post #88"), rater than saying something like - "what was said a few posts ago" which is not very clear, or having to requote the text that was said already and thus further clutter the thread.

2. It would be even more useful if those post numbers were linkable - i.e. if I say something like "please check out what that person said in post #98", and that #98 is linked - then the reader is one click away from the post, which saves time.

Best wishes
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Posts in a thread numbered and linkable

Post by DNS »

Hi pt,

I don't think the posts can be numbered, but I'll check with my techie guy.

But you can directly link to a post. For example, if I wanted to link to the second post on page 10 of the Abhidhamma debate in the Dhammic free for all, I would just copy and paste the topic address and then add:

start=182

to the end so that it will go directly to post #182. There are 20 posts per page, so 20 x 9 = 180 and then the second post on page 10 would be #182. So here is the link:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

This is how I do it:
If you click on the header of a message it displays by itself and you can copy the link.

Here is the previous message in this thread...
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 410#p34373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
pt1

Post by pt1 »

Hi David and Mike,

Thanks for the handy tips guys :clap:

Best wishes
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

mikenz66 wrote:This is how I do it:
If you click on the header of a message it displays by itself and you can copy the link.
Hmm, that's not quite correct, is it? The whole page still displays, but you are positioned at the beginning of the post whose header you clicked on...

In any case, you can copy the link...

Mike
pt1

Post by pt1 »

mikenz66 wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:This is how I do it:
The whole page still displays, but you are positioned at the beginning of the post whose header you clicked on...
Yeah, that's what I was basically after, though the link turns out a bit longish, like for David's post in this thread to be displayed at the top would be:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 896#p34373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So one way to get around it would be to write:

post or whatever name

In which case link to David's post becomes: David's post - which is a bit more neat.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this can be simplified technically - perhaps having a button that's similar to Quote button at the top of the each post, except that instead of quoting the whole post, this new button would simply insert the post number as a link, very much the same as I have done above by typing.

Thanks again
Best wishes