If you wanted to get to Nibbana ASAP how would you go about

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
sundara

If you wanted to get to Nibbana ASAP how would you go about

Post by sundara »

If you wanted to get to Nibbana, how would you go about it, for a beginner, what texts would you read, from the net, because I'm so confused. I need a road map of the terrain to realize nibbana. I'd appreciate it friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: If you wanted to get to Nibbana ASAP how would you go about

Post by DNS »

The Wings to Awakening is often described as a roadmap to Nibbana. It is the 37 factors of enlightenment.

Master those and Nibbana should be inevitable.

Which texts? I would start with the Nikayas, as much as you can. The five Nikayas are several volumes and several thousand pages. Bhikkhu Bodhi has an anthology, In the Buddha's Words, if you don't have time to read the whole Sutta Pitaka or the whole Tipitaka.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Hi sundara,

I think your sense of urgency is inspiring, but asap? To be honest, step one is probably to slow down. If you make it in seven more lifetimes, you're doing great!

Step two is probably to put the notion of "getting to" Nibbana out of your mind completely. My understanding is that you can't think of it in those terms. Don't fixate on some imagined goal.

Step three is probably to shift your attention away from longing for the future and put it on this very moment, right now. Every time you start longing for some imagined Nibbana in the future, regard it as a gentle alarm bell to remind you to bring your attention back to the task at hand, whatever that might be.

For good reading, here's a link to the resource David recommended: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just my 2 cents. Others may have better advice. Thanks for your efforts!

:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
sundara

Post by sundara »

What texts do you recommend me to read from the web site, what the Buddha Taught? That's a good web site with juicy texts.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Dear Sundara

First when you feel strong energy like this it means that you see the importance of this goal, have purpose and faith. It will take you far. However it needs to be tempered to a more sustained flow of energy towards the goal. It is important to know that too much energy can just lead to frustration. Compared to laziness it is a good sign, but nevertheless take care ...! :smile: The Buddha said that this is a gradual path, and it is. The mind cannot be forced into nibbana- the brain cells take time to adapt to the changes -so be kind to them!

Set up a daily practice of meditation- you will get nowhere without this- this is the most important thing you can do to reach the goal
review and contemplate your precepts- keep them. This will take you far.
Simplify your life a bit to give you space to practice and be mindful
Read and get to know the dhamma- seek out teachers who maybe able to guide you -find good ones-discuss-this develops the road map and right view

Get down to the work of developing samatha and vipassana.

Samatha- find any instructions you can -ajhan brahms book is likely to be good -mindfulness bliss and beyond-mindfulness in plain english by Bhanthe Gunerathana even though is not completely samatha, is also good. There maybe many others.

Vipassana- stick to this and you cannot veer off far

The Buddha has said that samatha and vipassana are like the two wheels of the chariot of the noble eightfold path.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... gress.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
DontKnow

Post by DontKnow »

sundara wrote:If you wanted to get to Nibbana, how would you go about it, for a beginner, what texts would you read, from the net, because I'm so confused. I need a road map of the terrain to realize nibbana. I'd appreciate it friends.
Hi sundara

If you want to get there ASAP then forget about nibbana, forget about a path and road map :)

Be always beginner. Once you are professional then it is hard to change profession.

Twentieth century true arhat Ajaan Dune Atulo (Lunag Po) said about nibbana:
"There's nothing that will attain, and nothing that won't attain."
How can you attain (or not attain) it then?

My 2 cents

Metta
Individual

Post by Individual »

Not sure if it's accurate to describe Nibbana as a place or condition.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

Noble Eight-Fold Path..

if you want it asap, run instead of walk.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When you see, just know that you see it. When you hear, just know that you hear it. When you cognise something, just know that you know it.

The above advice was given to Bāhiya Dārucīriya, the disciple who gained Arahantship quicker than any other disciple of the Buddha. The same advice was given to Mālukyaputta, a bhikkhu who went forth at the age of eighty, who asked for instructions in brief.

To attain nibbāna In This Very Life practise insight meditation diligently.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Sundara,

I have been thinking a lot about ordaining lately. Even though I am making a small amount of progress on the path as a layman I believe it would be more conducive if I ordained.

My opinion is that those who are truly serious about practicing Dhamma will naturally give ordination consideration if they have no wife/husband, dependants or debts. On the other hand, a self-disciplined lay person can reach Anagami (the 3rd stage of Enlightenment) according to the Suttas.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
vinasp

Post by vinasp »

Hi sundara,

Enlightenment is really very simple. It is about seeing that there is no self. Buddhist teachings have become so complicated that they are now more of a hindrance than a help.

Best wishes, Vincent.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Vinasp,

Did the Buddha ever teach that there is no self? Where is this referenced in the Suttas?

I could be wrong, but as far as I am aware the Buddha taught what is not self (the five aggregates), not whether or not there is a self.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
vinasp

Post by vinasp »

Hi Guy,

Did the Buddha teach no-self, or did he just say that there was no self in the five aggregates.

Dhammapada verses 277, 278 and 279.
All mentally constructed things are impermanent (sabbe samkhara anicca).
All mentally constructed things are suffering (sabbe samkhara dukkha).
All things are not-self ( sabbe dhamma anatta).

"Again, Ananda, when asked by the Wanderer : "Is there a self?" had I replied that there is, would my reply be in accordance with the knowledge that all things are not-self?" "Surely not, Lord". PTS Kindred Sayings IV page 282.

The usual teaching method is to point out that nothing in our experience is a self or is related to a self. This is to show that self is just a concept. In fact, a mis-conception. A grammatical mistake, taking an indexical to be an actual thing.

Best wishes, Vincent.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Vincent,
vinasp wrote: Enlightenment is really very simple. It is about seeing that there is no self. Buddhist teachings have become so complicated that they are now more of a hindrance than a help.
I agree that it seems that the key insight is into anatta. Understanding that intellectually is not so difficult, but gaining the actual insight is not a trivial matter.

Metta
Mike
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

"Just keep watching samsara"?
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.