HI

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

HI

Postby Janell » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Well. I don't know what to say except Hello. So hello. I'm here because I want to talk about the spirit world. We, as human beings or society, have talked about the spirit world in the past. But it seems to me that creation, once again, has been able to destroy something that it created for varying reasons but reasons just the same. We seemed to have become so highly intelligent that despite our own history, we can not even realize that our own intelligence, is also a figment of our imagination.

So. If there is anyone on here that does believe that spirits do exist; that they are a reality, then I would love to have some conversation about it.

The actual history. That is what I'm after. I'm not after twin flames and all the love and astrology stuff; although it is very attractive :), but I believe that it serves as a shine penny and has its own place in this world, but just not in this conversation :)

:namaste:

Janell
Janell

Re: HI

Postby Annapurna » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi,Janell.

How long have I known you now? 3 years?

And finally you follow my invitation. That's so nice. So, welcome!

I hope that you will find good new friends here, and I think you will. You may even find more, actually, than conversations about spirits, even though in Buddhism we know "hungry ghosts" (BOO!) :jawdrop: and demons :o and Devas :anjali: , you'll be surprised...

Buddhists are the kindest folks you can imagine.

I hope you'll soon feel at home here, we understand you come as you are, with a huge heart, and a fine mind. :group:

Welcome. :hug:

Shanti :anjali:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Janell » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Yep. 3 years. I guess. I will have to think about it. But either way, you are a dear dear friend and that is all that matters, right? Time, it is also a figment of our imagination that only serves to limit us in the manifestation, I believe. And, you give good advice. It comes directly from your heart :)

So, yes. I hope we can strike up some interesting conversations and shed a little light, on the subject.

Janell
Janell

Postby Annapurna » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:09 pm

And read some topics, if you like. There is an abundance of information here.
Annapurna

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:35 am

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:48 am

Welcome friend

:anjali:
"And so, because this Teaching is so different from what Westerners are accustomed to, they will try to adapt the Teaching to their own framework. What they need to learn to do is not to adapt the Teaching to their own point of view but to adapt their own point of view to the Teaching. This is called saddhá, or faith, and it means giving oneself to the Teaching even if the Teaching is contrary to one’s own preconceived notions of the way things are."- Ven Bodhesako

Nanavira Thera's teachings - An existential approach to the Dhamma | Ven. Bodhesako's essay on anicca
BlackBird

Postby Ben » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:05 am

Hi Janell
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
I hope you like it here.
kind regards

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:32 am

Greetings

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Dhammabodhi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:06 pm

HI there! Welcome to DhammaWheel!! :hello:

There are references to "spirits" in the Buddhist literature. There are some videos on youtube ( by the now famous dhammatube) which show monks talking about ghosts. It's up to you to believe their stories (or not). I give a couple below:

Metta, :anjali:
Dhammabodhi
-Samāhitam cittam yathābhutam pajānāti.

समाहितं चित्तं यथाभूतं पजानाती |

A concentrated mind sees things as they really are.

-Ujuko nāma so maggo, abhayā nāma sā disā.

उजुको नाम सो माग्गो, अभया नाम सा दिसा |

'Straight' is this path, fearlessness is its way.
Dhammabodhi

Postby Janell » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi everyone and thank you for the welcomes.

And thank you Dhammabodhi for the videos. Does this mean that you believe in spirits?

Janell
Janell

Postby Annapurna » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Janell, unfortunately I deleted our correspondece via PM, but wanna ask those questions again here?

(Do you remember them at all? Blank mind here, :broke: but the questions were super. :juggling:
Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:37 pm

I sent you a PM.
Annapurna

Postby Dhammabodhi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Janell,

My take on all this is rather of an agnostic. Whether spirits exist or not is like asking whether aliens exist or not: in all likelihood they probably do, but there's no convincing scientific "proof" for it. So I like to keep an open mind. In my opinion, however, this kind of belief doesn't help in improving your day-to-day life, and from a Buddhist perspective does not help in the cessation of suffering.

Metta,:anjali:
Dhammabodhi
-Samāhitam cittam yathābhutam pajānāti.

समाहितं चित्तं यथाभूतं पजानाती |

A concentrated mind sees things as they really are.

-Ujuko nāma so maggo, abhayā nāma sā disā.

उजुको नाम सो माग्गो, अभया नाम सा दिसा |

'Straight' is this path, fearlessness is its way.
Dhammabodhi

Return to Introductions