What's a good book on dependent origination?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sundara

What's a good book on dependent origination?

Post by sundara »

Friends,what's a good book on dependent origination, something with a lot of juice and say's everything in detail and it's not vague and doesn't beat around the bush.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: What's a good book on dependent origination?

Post by DNS »

sundara wrote:Friends,what's a good book on dependent origination, something with a lot of juice and say's everything in detail and it's not vague and doesn't beat around the bush.
The Samyutta Nikaya :tongue:

Sorry, but really can't think of anything better. Maybe someone else knows of one.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Hi sundara,
there is nothing better than the nikayas.
But for me Bhikkhu Nanavira's "Notes on Dhamma" was very helpful, too. A Note on Paticcasamuppada
best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ma ... cca-00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sundara,

The best book on dependent origination is one that doesn't think that it represents the one and only way in which dependent origination can and should be interpreted. Sorry if that's not an actual book per se, but a good criteria by which to take a foray into the post-sutta investigations of dependent origination.

A good online source that gives a couple of interpretations is...

Dependent Origination by P. A. Payutto
http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/coarise.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link updated (Geocities has closed down)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw's Discourse on Dependent Origination is helpful.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

This long-titled tome is a good one...

"Buddha's Teachings On Aggregates, Doctrine Of Dependent Origination, Mindfulness & Emptiness" by D.T.P.Rajapakse.

Available @ http://www.buddhistcc.net/bookshop/book ... sp?bid=627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:reading:

I like this one because it puts dependent origination nicely in the context of other key Buddhist teachings, rather than some kind of stand-alone mystical formula of transmigration, as other presentations sometimes do.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

sundara wrote:Friends,what's a good book on dependent origination, something with a lot of juice and say's everything in detail and it's not vague and doesn't beat around the bush.
Causality: The Central Philosophy of Buddhism
~ David J. Kalupahana
http://www.amazon.com/Causality-Philoso ... 0824802985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And nothing like a shameless plug:
http://wisdom.buddhistdoor.com/huifeng/ ... uifeng.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bhikkhu Bodhi's book The Great Discourse on Causation, The Mahanidana Sutta and Its Commentaries. (Although it is quoted and footnoted in Huifeng's essay.) A brief passage from the Introduction explains the reason the principle of dependent co-arising is so integral to understanding the Dhamma.
Bhikkhu Bodhi, pg. 1 wrote:When the arahat Assaji was asked to state the Master's message as concisely as possible, he said it was the doctrine that phenomena arise and cease through causes. With a single sentence the Buddha dispels all doubt about the correctness of this summary: "He who sees dependent arising sees the Dhamma, he who sees the Dhamma sees dependent arising" (MN 28; i 191)

The reason dependent arising is assigned so much weight lies in two essential contributions it makes to the teaching. First, it provides the teaching with it primary ontological principle, its key for understanding the nature of being. Second, it provides the framework that guides its programme for deliverance, a causal account of the origination and cessation of suffering. These two contributions, though separable in thought, come together in the thesis that makes the Buddha's teaching a "doctrine of awakening": that suffering ultimately arises due to ignorance about the nature of being and ceases through wisdom, direct understanding of the nature of being.
Later on in the Introduction, Bodhi explains in simple terms what the Buddha viewed as being the primary condition for existence: "The specific condition for existence in both aspects is clinging (upadana): clinging to sense pleasures (kam upadana), clinging to views (ditth upadana), clinging to precepts and observances (silabbat upadana), clinging to a doctrine of self (attavad upadana). The first is an intensification of sensual craving, the other three adherences to wrong views. In all its forms clinging has the sense of firm grasping (dalhagahana). This grasping induces motivated action and thus conditions kamma-existence. It also sustains the rebirth process whereby the accumulated kamma fructifies and thus it becomes a condition for rebirth-existence."
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

I'll echo Retro's suggestion of Dependent Origination by P. A. Payutto.

And I'll also add Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu:
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... uppada.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For an article length explanation of DO during a lifetime, this is my favorite:
"Dependent Origination" by Christina Feldman
http://www.dharma.org/ij/archives/1999a/christina.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;