Call to arms for reasoned & critical perspective on Buddhism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Call to arms for reasoned & critical perspective on Buddhism

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:21 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:31 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:49 am

Then we get into the old Buddhist camps of the Mahàyàna, Vajrayàna and Hãnayàna. We’re considered Hãnayàna or ‘lesser vehicle.’ So we could think that means it’s probably not as good. Mahàyàna is better, says logic. Lesser vehicle and greater vehicle. Then Vajrayàna, that’s the absolute best. You can’t get any better than Vajrayàna according to the Tibetans. That’s the highest vehicle. So then we start thinking in terms of good, better, best. But all of these are conventions. Whether we call it Mahàyàna, Hãnayàna or Vajrayàna, they’re still just conventions:they’re limited; they’re imperfect. They’re functional,to be used for mindfulness rather than as some kind of attachment or position that one takes on anything. These different terms can be very divisive. If we attach to Theravàda and start looking down on every other form of Buddhism, then we think that they’re not pure, they’re not original! They’re higher, but they’re not original. We can get arrogant because we’ve got our own way of justifying our convention. But this is all playing with words. If we look at what is going on in words, we’re just creating Mahàyàna, Hãnayàna and Vajrayàna in our minds. The refuge is in Buddha, not in these ‘yànas’. The Buddha knows that every thought is changing and not-self. So trust in that, in the simplicity of that. Because if you don’t, then it is going to arouse your old compulsive habits of thinking “I’ve got to do more, I’ve got to develop this, I’ve got to become a Bodhisattva, I’ve got to get the higher practice going,” and on and on like that.

When you’re caught in that conventional realm and that’s all you know, then you’re easily intimidated and blinded by all the dazzling positions and attitudes and ideas that people can throw at you. So this is where trusting in awareness is not a matter of having the best or feeling that maybe you should have something better than what you have. That’s a creation of your mind, isn’t it? When you establish what is adequate, it’s not based on what is the best but on what is basic for survival and good health.

Intuitive Awareness by Ajahn Sumedho
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:16 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:34 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:37 am

Thank you Bhante for applying wisdom on this topic.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:52 am

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:12 am

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:33 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:41 am

Clearly the Dhamma does not belong to anyone. Its custodian however is the Sangha. We were given three jewels to go to for Refuge.

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:43 am

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:43 am

Hello:

Perhaps one reason we get hung up on the issue of "myths" in Buddhism is that most of us are coming from a cultural context in which said myths don't enjoy common currency. Therefore they seem strange. But if you look at, for example, Christian myths, it turns out that most Westerners -- even secular ones -- don't have any problem integrating them into discourse. The garden of Eden, Adam and Eve, the Christian notion of hell, etc...these are deeply familiar to us.

The same holds true, to an extent, of pagan Greek mythology. I could have a conversation tomorrow and say something about Mt. Olympus or Apollo pursuing Daphne, and no one would think this crazy. Pretentious, maybe, but not crazy. :tongue:

But if someone starts talking about beings born spontaneously from lotus flowers...well, that's a different matter. It's not simply that myth per se is problematic; myth becomes problematic when it is someone else's myth and we are having trouble integrating it in within our own frame of references. When that happens, we sense a barrier and anxiety arises.

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:06 pm

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:54 pm

"A call to arms..."

I keep thinking that's a very interesting title coming from a Buddhist.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:01 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:16 pm

well it does go on to make clear that the "arms" are reason... :smile:

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:51 pm

PeterB