The World Around Us, Arising and Falling Away...

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

The World Around Us, Arising and Falling Away...

Postby christopher::: » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:54 am

We seem to be living in highly chaotic times right now. Though i wonder, if its ever been that different. Nations, economies, communities come together and thrive. Then there is decline, difficulty, challenges. Always the dharma seems to point a way to greater ease and freedom, if we are able to practice successfully.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Re: The World Around Us, Arising and Falling Away...

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:30 am

Greetings Christopher,

Extract from SN 22.95 - Phena Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Form is like a glob of foam;
feeling, a bubble;
perception, a mirage;
fabrications, a banana tree;
consciousness, a magic trick —
this has been taught
by the Kinsman of the Sun.
However you observe them,
appropriately examine them,
they're empty, void
to whoever sees them
appropriately.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Element » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:49 am

I can only speculate but significant change could be possible for some. America, as a nation, has reached a maturity, now appearing to be replete with excesses. Buddha said there eight vicissitudes of life. Unsatisfactoriness and failure. These are part of the conditioned realm.
Gain/loss,
status/disgrace,
censure/praise,
pleasure/pain:
these conditions among human beings
are inconstant,
impermanent,
subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don't charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming
& rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
he discerns rightly,
has gone, beyond becoming,
to the Further Shore.

Lokavipatti Sutta
Element

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:12 am

christopher::: wrote:We seem to be living in highly chaotic times right now. Though i wonder, if its ever been that different. Nations, economies, communities come together and thrive. Then there is decline, difficulty, challenges. Always the dharma seems to point a way to greater ease and freedom, if we are able to practice successfully.

Hi Chris

Absolutely. I would say that the Dhamma points to a greater ease and freedom within the individual and gives the practitioner the wisdom necessary to deal with the turbulence of life in samsara.
Alternatively, there is a passage in Bhikkhu Bodhi's 'A comprehensive manual of the Abhidhamma' where he describes the 31 planes of existence and how they correspond to citta. It prompts the question how the development of jhana and vipassana conditions the external world we experience.

The compendium of process-freed consciousness opens with a survey of the topograpgy of the phenomenal world, charting the planes of existence and the various realms within each plane. The author (Acariya Anuruddha) undertakes this survey before examining the types of process-freed consciousness because the external universe, according to the Abhidhamma, is an outer reflection of the internal cosmos of mind, registering in concrete manifest form the subtle gradations in states of consciousness. This does not mean that the Abhidhamma reduces the outer world to a dimension of mind in the manner of philosophical idealism. The outer world is quite real and possesses objective existence. However, the outer world is always a world apprehended by consciousness, and the type of consciousness determines the nature of the world that appears. Consciousness and the world are mutually dependent and inextricably connected to such an extent that the hierarchical structure of the realms of existence exactly reproduces and corresponds to the hierarchical structure of consciousness.

-- Vithimuttasangaha, Bhikkhu Bodhi, 2000, Abhidhammatthasangaha: A comprehensive manual of Abhidhamma, Pariyatti

Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 am

The compendium of process-freed consciousness opens with a survey of the topograpgy of the phenomenal world, charting the planes of existence and the various realms within each plane. The author (Acariya Anuruddha) undertakes this survey before examining the types of process-freed consciousness because the external universe, according to the Abhidhamma, is an outer reflection of the internal cosmos of mind, registering in concrete manifest form the subtle gradations in states of consciousness. This does not mean that the Abhidhamma reduces the outer world to a dimension of mind in the manner of philosophical idealism. The outer world is quite real and possesses objective existence. However, the outer world is always a world apprehended by consciousness, and the type of consciousness determines the nature of the world that appears. Consciousness and the world are mutually dependent and inextricably connected to such an extent that the hierarchical structure of the realms of existence exactly reproduces and corresponds to the hierarchical structure of consciousness.

I admire anyone who can make heads or tails out of the above...way over my head...and the thought of seeing/comprehending thirty one planes of existence equally as daunting...my plate seems to be overloaded on this plane alone... :geek: oh well, in the immortal words of the Wise One...'Strive on'...
appicchato

Postby christopher::: » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Thank you all for your insightful quotes, verses and responses. Indeed, Venerable...

in the immortal words of the Wise One...'Strive on'...

Peace
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:52 am

Dear Venerable,

appicchato wrote:I admire anyone who can make heads or tails out of the above...way over my head...and the thought of seeing/comprehending thirty one planes of existence equally as daunting...my plate seems to be overloaded on this plane alone... :geek: oh well, in the immortal words of the Wise One...'Strive on'...

I try. I consider myself just a beginner on the path.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby stuka » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:30 am

appicchato wrote:

I admire anyone who can make heads or tails out of the above...way over my head...and the thought of seeing/comprehending thirty one planes of existence equally as daunting...my plate seems to be overloaded on this plane alone... :geek: oh well, in the immortal words of the Wise One...'Strive on'...

I have my doubts about anyone who claims they "make heads or tails" about monkey-chatter for the sake of holding up a long-dead speculative view. Much more relevant to work on the cessation of suffering in the here-and-now.
stuka

Return to Lounge