Oíche shamhna mhaith duit!; if you know what is good for you

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Individual

Re: Oíche shamhna mhaith duit!; if you know what is good for you

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote:
Individual wrote:Halloween is my mom's birthday. For her, it's a terrible holiday.
It is what you make it.
Every year, her birthday has been overshadowed by the lust for candy.

I think Halloween is a bit of a silly holiday, where people give out unhealthy junk food and hoodlums roam the street, throwing toilet paper rolls, eggs, and engaging in "bag-snatching." It seems like every year, there are more police on Halloween than ever.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Individual wrote:Halloween is my mom's birthday. For her, it's a terrible holiday.
It is what you make it.
Every year, her birthday has been overshadowed by the lust for candy.

I think Halloween is a bit of a silly holiday, where people give out unhealthy junk food and hoodlums roam the street, throwing toilet paper rolls, eggs, and engaging in "bag-snatching." It seems like every year, there are more police on Halloween than ever.
As I said, it is what you make it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

The front window of my house:
Attachments
window.jpg
window.jpg (70.11 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote: As I said, it is what you make it.
It has demonic origins, says Pat Robertson!!!

A "festival of the DEVIL"!!!

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2009/10/29-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote:The front window of my house:
EVIIIIIIIIIIIL!!!!

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

More on demon candy and not having sex on Halloween and really scary Fundamentalist Christians:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/vp/ ... 7#33557917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:
EVIIIIIIIIIIIL!!!!
If it is not Jayzuz, it is evil.

Ben

Post by Ben »

What a great photo! Thanks for sharing, Tilt!

'In answer to your earlier question...

'Bne' was a typo, but I was diagnosed as dislexic when I was about seven. I have vivid memories of being canned by a nun because I had difficulty identifying -letters. The upside was that I had a neat party trick to impress my large fifth-gen irish catholic family with reading books upside down and upside-down mirror reading!
I guess this is sort of 'on-topic' After all, I was left-handed (molly-duke, sinestra, south-paw) as well and beaten demented catholic nuns.
Phuc! Maybe I am the devil incarnate and just haven't realised my devil-nature?
Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Ben wrote:
... reading books upside down and upside-down mirror reading!

...left-handed (molly-duke, sinestra, south-paw)
DEMON!!! DEMON!!! Git him!!!

I was left handed also and went through endless hours of training and shaming to make me a rightie. I went along with it but secretly I also used my left hand...the result is that I grew up ambidextrous, which I think effects the brain in interesting ways.
Attachments
Vampire stake  Hammer.jpg
Vampire stake Hammer.jpg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ben

Post by Ben »

pink_trike wrote:DEMON!!! DEMON!!! Git him!!!
Is that adulation I hear? My very own adoring fan! Yippee!!!
which I think effects the brain in interesting ways.
I'm sure it must, as well. BTW, my copy of Metzinger's 'The Ego Tunnel' has come in, and touches on that whole area of quality of consciousness rewiring the brain. its amazing stuff, I just wish I had more time to read!
metta

Bne (there I go again...)
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Ben wrote: BTW, my copy of Metzinger's 'The Ego Tunnel' has come in, and touches on that whole area of quality of consciousness rewiring the brain. its amazing stuff, I just wish I had more time to read!
Amazon says that I will have it soon.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Fantastic! Chris says she'll have her copy soon, too!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Individual

Post by Individual »

Yeah, the hoodlums are roaming the streets tonight because of this awful holiday.

I saw two cop cars down the street, parked with their lights on... Then I saw four kids rollerblading in the middle of the road. Then I saw one kid throw candy at another, and in response, the other kid threatened to fight him.

This holiday should be abolished. Parents do not keep track of anything, police have to be on high alert because of all the problems, and so, around the country, there is so much violence and vandalism.

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:Yeah, the hoodlums are roaming the streets tonight because of this awful holiday.

I saw two cop cars down the street, parked with their lights on... Then I saw four kids rollerblading in the middle of the road. Then I saw one kid throw candy at another, and in response, the other kid threatened to fight him.

This holiday should be abolished. Parents do not keep track of anything, police have to be on high alert because
of all the problems, and so, around the country, there is so much violence and vandalism.
Well, yeah. It is the demons in the candy making everyone do the devil's works, and heaven forbid anyone doing the ins-and-outs on Halloween.

I, on the other hand, had a lovely Halloween. Stunningly beautiful night, good company, lots of nice kids coming to the door dressed up in delightful costumes. No demons to be found.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Sounds like a great night, Tilt!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725