Meditating with a cold/allergies

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Meditating with a cold/allergies

Postby adamposey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 pm

I was trying to get through this morning's meditations, but my chest was tight, my breath was forced because of a runny nose, etc.,

How do you meditate with a cold or do you just focus on getting well and return to your meditation after?
adamposey

Re: Meditating with a cold/allergies

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:49 pm

You could try a different theme that has nothing to do with the breath such as metta bhavana or kayagatasati. Or you could use the sensations of discomfort as your object and look for the sign of impermanence. Metta.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby PeterB » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Good suggestions.
Something else you could try is sweeping awareness slowly up and down the body taking in all sensations that arise from feet to crown and back.
PeterB

Postby catmoon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm in the same boat. Since I smoke, and the flu causes me to reduce my smoking, I actually breathe better in some ways. I look forward to losing a few pounds. The discomfort seems small compared to all the mental suffering I used to generate around such things. It is also a good time to practice tonglen. Finally, think that carrying suffering with grace will prevent you from accumulating bad karma, in a very concrete sense.

Meditation is a little more difficult and perhaps briefer. That's fine. It's all practice.
catmoon

Postby shjohnk » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:08 am

On a similar theme, I have a chronically blocked nose (Rhinitis or something it's called). Therefore, I breathe predominantly through my mouth. This doesn't seem to affect my meditation: I'm still breathing and focussing on it.
shjohnk

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:31 am

In the past I have used a pseudo-ephedrine-based cold & flu medication which has alleviated the symptoms of blocked & runny nose. I could get on with my meditation and get on with the vast majority of my day-to-day activities.
metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:01 am

I suffer from allergies and also have problems with breathing. I do a lot of walking meditation.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Theravada Meditation