Hell

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Collective

Hell

Post by Collective »

Not sure where this goes so I apologise if it's in the wrong area.

I'm very religious (Christinity) but currently going through a massive crisis of faith (you'll say it's mass liberation) wherein I'm more and more believing in nothing. The relevant topic is hell and hell fire. Ironically I don't believe in a literal hell but...

Something happened to me last night as I was falling asleep. I experienced voices in my head (not literally) more like 'hearing a transcript' if you know what I mean. I usually experience this kind of stuff when dropping off but it's mostly inconherent snatches of dialogue. This time however I clearly/read/experienced/understood (not actually heard) the phrase 'we will kill your family', and I saw in my mind's eye, as clear as anything, the word hell.

Religious beliefs aside you would find me a rational individual not prone to flights of fancy.

Any thoughts? Quite unnerving
Ben

Re: Hell

Post by Ben »

Hi Collective
Its actually quite a common phenomenon. Many people experience auditory and visual hallucinations as they enter sleep. My advice to you is not to place any importance on the event, it is merely the effervesence of phenomena.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Collective

Re: Hell

Post by Collective »

Thanks Ben, that's what I was thinking too