Hell

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Hell

Postby Collective » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:47 am

Not sure where this goes so I apologise if it's in the wrong area.

I'm very religious (Christinity) but currently going through a massive crisis of faith (you'll say it's mass liberation) wherein I'm more and more believing in nothing. The relevant topic is hell and hell fire. Ironically I don't believe in a literal hell but...

Something happened to me last night as I was falling asleep. I experienced voices in my head (not literally) more like 'hearing a transcript' if you know what I mean. I usually experience this kind of stuff when dropping off but it's mostly inconherent snatches of dialogue. This time however I clearly/read/experienced/understood (not actually heard) the phrase 'we will kill your family', and I saw in my mind's eye, as clear as anything, the word hell.

Religious beliefs aside you would find me a rational individual not prone to flights of fancy.

Any thoughts? Quite unnerving
Collective

Re: Hell

Postby Ben » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:09 am

Hi Collective
Its actually quite a common phenomenon. Many people experience auditory and visual hallucinations as they enter sleep. My advice to you is not to place any importance on the event, it is merely the effervesence of phenomena.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Hell

Postby Collective » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks Ben, that's what I was thinking too
Collective

Return to Theravāda for the modern world