Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
arise

Re: Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

Post by arise »

Dhammika wrote a completely biased book against Christianity. But nobody said anything against him yet. Steve Cioccolanti wrote a book that shows the similarities between Buddhism and Christianity, and the monk attacks him. What a hypocrite!

Read about the response from the Author at http://www.BuddhaBook.org/bookblog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

arise,

Which book are you referring to by Ven. Dhammika? Is it Good Question, Good Answer referred to in Steve C.'s blog? If so, that is a book on Buddhism, whereas Steve C.'s book is specifically about Buddhism and Christianity and how they are practiced.
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Debating Buddhist texts in ancient languages is the pursuit of academics and the elite, of which Dhammika is one.
I am interested in the millions of lay Buddhists whose faith is not perfect and often syncretic.
That is why I wrote from the beginning of my book “an insider’s view of Buddhism and Christianity,” not an academic’s or professional’s or Western view.
I never claimed to be a monk.
I am only a commoner who has been involved in the lives of thousands of Buddhists and found out how they are suffering.
I want to help end their suffering because I ended my suffering at the Cross of Jesus Christ.
http://buddhabook.org/bookblog/?p=64#more-64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now do you all get the actual picture? Especially the one in bold?
Pays to know why and what u believe in depth huh :roll:

Namo Amitabha Buddha!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

arise wrote:Dhammika wrote a completely biased book against Christianity. But nobody said anything against him yet. Steve Cioccolanti wrote a book that shows the similarities between Buddhism and Christianity, and the monk attacks him. What a hypocrite!

Read about the response from the Author at http://www.BuddhaBook.org/bookblog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not aware that Ven Dhammika wrote a sustained critique of Christianity. He may have, so it would be incumbent upon you to provide a reference.

On the other hand Steve Cioccolanti's book, from what I have read about it is portrayed on Amazon.com, is a tool for Christians to evangelize Buddhists, and if this is true then Cioccolanti's book is not some innocent, warm fuzzy new-agey similarities effort; rather, it is part of evangelical war that Evangelical Christians are waging upon non-Christian religions.

One needs to be careful about who one calls a hypocrite.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Actually, it might be worth my getting the book and doing a sustained critque of it. There are better things to do with my life, however, but I'll see how this thread unfolds.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

What I wrote concerning Buddhism is what the lay Buddhist knows: Buddha was a prince who left everything (including his former religion of Hinduism) in pursuit of the truth and a way out of karmic suffering. I greatly admire Buddha. Although Buddha did not have the privilege of knowing Christianity, I firmly believe if he were alive today, he would be open-minded enough to study the Bible and have a civil dialogue with well-informed Christians. I also admire the Buddhists who try to follow Buddha’s example. Dhammika is not like Buddha; he is a rejecter of Christ with an axe to grind; a Western academic who uses Western thinking to attack Christianity.

I agree with him that if Buddha were alive today, he would engage in a civil dialogue with christians but i dont think the Buddha would accept Jesus as a son of god and saviour

I get the sense that he is saying that if one denies Jesus as the son of god and saviour then one isnt practicing in accord with the Buddhas teachings, which of course is ridiculous

He also seems to reject the claims of Buddhism being Scientific despite his obvious Creationist beliefs which are so against Science in everyway and are utterly foolish

His knowledge of a central Buddhist teaching also seems to be incorrect
What did Buddha say was the cause of human suffering? Karma. Hence Buddha was seeking a solution that the Bible provided – a way out of sin, suffering and death. Being a rejecter of Christianity, Dhamikka would never admit that, but most native Buddhists I know have no problem seeing the similarity between Buddhism and Christianity.
Is it not craving that is the cause of dukkha, not kamma? He also seems to equate sin with Kamma despite the fact they are two different concepts/teachings. I do agree however there are some similarities between Buddhism and Christianity but i would say only on a moral level (and even then not all the time)
:anjali:
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

I agree with him that if Buddha were alive today, he would engage in a civil dialogue with christians but i dont think the Buddha would accept Jesus as a son of god and saviour
The Buddha would be civil, but given the history of Christianity and how many evangelical type express themselves in the present day, it would not necessarily be reciprocated. Too bad Richard C is not here; it would be interesting to discuss some of these things with him.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ven. Dhammika was in Perth the past several days giving some talks. I just heard back from him and he said that Amazon removed his review, believing it was "too" negative and may hurt book sales. So apparently it was just a business decision.

Meanwhile, the Christian minister continues to leave his attacks on Ven. Dhammika at his blog.
green

Post by green »

Frankly, ever since I've become a Buddhist, I don't mind it at all when Christians try to convert me..I don't get irritated. They seem to have good intentions and do it to "save me"... .:thinking:

There are some very nice people of faith in every religion and I've had the pleasure of talking to many of them...

Of course there are some who are ignorant, like the annoying korean Christian missionary who couldn't stand Buddha :cookoo: ... (I didn't understand why she didn't, but at that time I didn't care too much since I wasn't a Buddhist)

Now if someone really starts talking to me, I try to speak to them about the Dhamma without insulting other people's beliefs.

I have a very strong understanding of the Bible, so I've actually had some more open minded ones gain greater interest in learning the Dhamma once they see the parallels. If I can get some of them to read the Dhamma, that's cool! :smile:
boyadine

Re: updated link to Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

Post by boyadine »

Those interested in reading Bhante Dhammika's book review should try this link:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13296079/Book ... a-to-Jesus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(someone at amazon.com deleted the book review, gee i wonder why)

There is also another excellent review by Bhante Aggacitto which you can read here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13099022/Revi ... ioccolanti" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please download the pdf files and forward to those who would be interested.

Although the book is vile it will be useful to stimulate discussion and deepen understandings.

with metta to all
torrd25

Post by torrd25 »

Hi All,

My suggestion is Everytime we see or hear people talking about that book,
we recomend "Kallama Sutta".....hehehehhe
n.siridhab

Post by n.siridhab »

great review by ven. dhamika. the length of review is required to cover the whole distorted view of buddhism by a simplistic writer. I truely applause ven. dhamika for his intention to make them right from wrong. sadhu. from usa :clap: :clap:
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Ven Dhammika also was written "A Buddhist Critique of Fundamentalist Christianity" under the name A L De Silva. Published in 1994.
-----------------------
Bankei
jay

Post by jay »

Bankei wrote:Ven Dhammika also was written "A Buddhist Critique of Fundamentalist Christianity" under the name A L De Silva. Published in 1994.
Are you sure he and AL are one and the same? how do you know? I just assume that he and AL are almost the same due to the argumentative style and some resembleance to his blogs.
dspiewak

Post by dspiewak »

green wrote:Frankly, ever since I've become a Buddhist, I don't mind it at all when Christians try to convert me..I don't get irritated. They seem to have good intentions and do it to "save me"... .:thinking:

There are some very nice people of faith in every religion and I've had the pleasure of talking to many of them...

Of course there are some who are ignorant, like the annoying korean Christian missionary who couldn't stand Buddha :cookoo: ... (I didn't understand why she didn't, but at that time I didn't care too much since I wasn't a Buddhist)

Now if someone really starts talking to me, I try to speak to them about the Dhamma without insulting other people's beliefs.

I have a very strong understanding of the Bible, so I've actually had some more open minded ones gain greater interest in learning the Dhamma once they see the parallels. If I can get some of them to read the Dhamma, that's cool! :smile:
Hi Green, in my life I find I can adopt this attitude as well, but I live in the US. As you may know Christian evangelists are not the same in Asia as they are in the West. Christian organizations tend to select only their most aggressive evangelists to go to Asia. It seems that they are more interested in converting Buddhists than they are in converting adherents of other Christian sects, and that is really saying a lot.

The difference I think comes down to familiarity. In the West most (not all) are very familiar with Christianity; those who leave it and adopt another religion still retain a wealth of knowledge of it. We know that missionaries are capable of saying or doing anything as long as it wins converts. We still have great affection for our good Christian friends and we still appreciate the things Jesus is said to have taught about simplicity, humility, and love, but we are wary.

I think there is a great lot more to say on this but I'll leave that to the experts.