Attitudes of Western Buddhists: 5 Questions to Answer

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Bankei

Re: Attitudes of Western Buddhists: 5 Questions to Answer

Post by Bankei »

1. Are you a Buddhist?

No. but I am a follower of the Buddha.

2. Are you interested in Buddhism because of the meditation?

no.

If you are a Buddhist ;

3. Do you see ‘ meditation’ as most relevant to the Dhamma practice rather than other social meritorious activities? why?

no.

4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)?
and how this activity is important to you?

no, but giving is good. Giving to those in need is better than those that don't need.

5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age

Bankei, Japanese, yes please, lay, Masters, Wife and mistress.
-----------------------
Bankei
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yes.

No. I think Meditation is an integral part of the Dhamma and extremely beneficial, but it is only one part of the eight-fold path.

If you are a Buddhist ;
3. Do you see ‘ meditation’ as most relevant to the Dhamma practice rather than other social meritorious activities? why?
Meditation is the most helpful for my personal practice as it helps to cultivate the other necessary factors and helps me understand the nature of Non-self, impermanence etc. As one who lives in the world, meritorious social activities help to bring others to the Dhamma through example (though I don't do any at the moment :cry: ) and we should take part in them to cultivate metta and karuna.
4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)?
Yes, definitely! However I think any kind of generousity of deed or thought can also cultivate merit. I currently do not give Dana, but this reminds me that I should!

5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age
John, Australian, Male, Lay, BA, Married, 34.

Great to have a chance to put these things in writing! :bow:
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Now a question for you. How do I know this study is genuine and not just another commercial internet data mining venture?
Individual

Post by Individual »

gavesako wrote:A Thai friend who is doing an MA in the Study of Religions would like know more about the views and attitudes of Western Buddhists. If you would like to help her, please answer the questions below (it could also be an interesting survey for Dhammawheel users in general).

----------------------
I am interested in Buddhism in the West.
I would like to know how Westerners practice Buddhism and their perspectives.
Thus, if you don't mind , could you please answers questions as follows;

1. Are you a Buddhist?

If you are a Buddhist ;

1. I suppose, yes. But I do not find the label very endearing.
2. Not primarily, no. I am not simply "interested" by Buddhism. I agree with it and try to follow it, because it is the obvious truth.
3. No, there's no right path for everyone because different minds have different sicknesses, which require different medicines. Also, the Noble Eightfold Path is a circle, which can be entered into at any point.
4. William\Alex, American, Single, Lay, High school and some college, Never Married, 25
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

catmoon wrote:Now a question for you. How do I know this study is genuine and not just another commercial internet data mining venture?
Sometimes you need to have faith...
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

gavesako wrote:
catmoon wrote:Now a question for you. How do I know this study is genuine and not just another commercial internet data mining venture?
Sometimes you need to have faith...
Spoken by a true member of the clergy. :tongue:

I agree, sometimes skepticism can go too far. They are not asking for real names or any government numbers, such as social security, etc.
alan

Post by alan »

Aren't there better questions?
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

alan wrote:Aren't there better questions?
Is this your way of saying you have better questions? :smile:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
alan

Post by alan »

Yes! And it goes back to a question I posted previously on another thread. Many western Buddhists hold new age/"Spiritual" beliefs which have nothing to do with Dhamma. Why not ask questions about that?
alan

Post by alan »

I mean, if someone is really interested in examining western ideas, and is going to write a paper or come up with a thesis, and this person we are talking about is Asian, then there are more important questions to ask.
Such as:
Do you believe in "Karma"?
Do you believe we are all interdependent?
Do you believe in "Buddha Nature?
Do you believe we have "No Self"? If so, what is the goal of you meditation?
How many hours a day to you meditate?
What is your goal?

Just a suggestion.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Alan your no's two three and four appear to be designed to filter out certain kinds of Buddhism.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Alan,
alan wrote: Do you believe we are all interdependent?
Do you believe in "Buddha Nature?
Do you believe we have "No Self"? If so, what is the goal of you meditation?
I think the questions asked are about attitudes towards the relative importance of dana, sila, bhavana. Perhaps there should have been more specific question about sila.

Your alternatives are rather technical, not really about attitude to various aspects of the Path. Besides the first two I quoted don't have much relevance to Theravada.

Metta
Mike
A Medic

Post by A Medic »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yes
No not entirely.
If you are a Buddhist ;
3. Do you see ‘ meditation’ as most relevant to the Dhama pracctice rather than other social meritorious activities? why?
Yes I do. I believe for me meditation is a chance to directly confront our "self".
4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsar (transsferring to next lives)?
Honestly I don't know. I try not to think of stuff in the terms of next life, and stuff.
Casey, American, male, lay, in college, single, 25

:anjali:
alan

Post by alan »

Take a good look at those questions. Are you familiar with what in politics is called a "push poll"? It is a tactic designed to elicit a response--one the poller wants.
Now, I'm not saying these are the same. But boil down the questions. What do we see? In my opinion it is this:
How much do you give? Why don''t you give more?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Alan,
alan wrote: What do we see? In my opinion it is this:
How much do you give? Why don''t you give more?
I don't really see it like that. While it might be worded better, I see the questions as probing different attitudes to the Path. The Buddha taught people generosity and virtue first, as a foundation for meditative development, and that's the way most Asian people I know understand the Path. Some in the West see the Path as just meditative technique. Those questions will certainly reveal that difference in attitude.

Mike